Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Second key availability

I've just read an article in the Telegraph where someone is still waiting for their second key for their new Toyota. A Toyota spokesperson said " we have been working hard on the issue, and that 75 per cent of new Toyota ­customers are now getting both keys when they take delivery, and that all customers ­supplied with one key to start with should be up to two by early next year"  Early next year? I hope that doesn't apply to Lexus because the silence I am getting from the dealer and Lexus UK is worrying as the promised date keeps going back.  Time for Lexus to deliver the key rather than excuses but I won't hold my breath.

Yes, I've seen that article myself and my blood did start to simmer again, I will admit. 

When I collected my NX on 1st September I was basically told the second key "would follow" but I got a shrug of the shoulders when I asked roughly when that would likely be. Maybe not in these exact words, but it was along the lines of "up to a year...?". That also includes the issue with no locking wheel bolts. The dealer wouldn't be held to any date, period of time or anything. The scantest of information - which is basically the best I had out of them during my 16 month wait...and that's only after several complaints. Very poor indeed. 

Without a spare/second key, I'm literally holding onto my one and only key with dear life. 

• Like 1

What’s really ironic is that my wife’s new £ 21k Yaris (with keyless entry) came in June with 2 keys without asking and Lexus Customer Service put a special order in for my second key (allegedly jumping the queue) about the same time but nothing yet. 
John - my car is in having the AC charging unit replaced - they said the 12th and kept to it. They then noticed the wrong coolant had been sent with it so hopefully that’ll come tomorrow and I’ll get my car back. 
They told me they don’t have a date for the September update but are sure it will be soon. They said it definitely significantly reduces the plunging range with the a/c or heating on but doesn’t significantly increase the range. 
They gave me a petrol UX as a curtesy car - it was quite a smart move as I now think the RZ is exceptionally quiet. 
Are you any happier with the car and / Lexus 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just had a letter from Lexus CS saying "Good news" you can now order your second key. They then go on to emphasise that they are going to supply this key to me" free of charge" as part of their customer service. Better still, when I've driven the 100 or so miles at my expense to collect the key they will also programme it for me "free of charge". How kind of them.

Don't these people realise I have already paid for the key when I bought the car?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

John, how long have you had the car? 
I’ve had mine for 2 months so I suspect it will be many more months before I get my second key. 
while we’re on this topic, what would happen if one loses the only key? This happened to me last week. Misplaced the key in the morning (found it again later in the day). Contacted my Lexus dealer for advice. 
The reply - I have to get the car on a flat bed transporter to the dealer, they will have to remove most of the dashboard to get at the CPU unit and replace two components and reprogram a new key. No discussion of who will pay for this (as the key was found later). 

12 minutes ago, MIz said:

John, how long have you had the car? 
I’ve had mine for 2 months so I suspect it will be many more months before I get my second key. 
while we’re on this topic, what would happen if one loses the only key? This happened to me last week. Misplaced the key in the morning (found it again later in the day). Contacted my Lexus dealer for advice. 
The reply - I have to get the car on a flat bed transporter to the dealer, they will have to remove most of the dashboard to get at the CPU unit and replace two components and reprogram a new key. No discussion of who will pay for this (as the key was found later). 

Hi Steve, I've had the car since June. With regards to losing your key, I was told by Lexus CS early on that they would fully reimburse anyone who lost their key including  expenses in getting the car back to the dealer. You would obviously have to pay for the lost key as normal. Also with the locking wheel nuts they told me they would pay for the replacement of all wheels if they should be stolen, again including expenses.

• Like 1

I got my second key last week - collected car mid May. I thought it looked slightly different and when I tried to put it on a key ring I found out why. It didn’t have a blade (manual) key in it - I then remembered that I got a spare blade on collection so inserted that complete with ring. After the dealer programmes the key you get a message on start up saying a key has been programmed and you then have to read and remember how to cancel the message, otherwise you get it every start up !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links