Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 sc430 rubbing sound from rear wheels

Chrischesh

Hi people my sc430 is making a rubbing sound from the rear wheels or that area mainly when going round bends , on a left bend it’s the right hand rear and on a right bend it’s the left hand rear , you hear it more with the top down  it’s not really noisy it’s just annoying when your out for a quiet and leisurely drive.

I am mechanical minded maybe this has come up before it’s the first time of owning an sc430  what a beautiful car, thanks in advance.

chris

• Like 1

Chris.

I was thinking parking brake shoes or sticking caliper(s). Before you strip everything down check for a stone lodged between the disc and caliper or pads, particularly if you have driven over a resurfaced road recently. Let us know how you get on. 

On 9/15/2023 at 4:51 PM, Chrischesh said:

Hi people my sc430 is making a rubbing sound from the rear wheels or that area mainly when going round bends , on a left bend it’s the right hand rear and on a right bend it’s the left hand rear , you hear it more with the top down  it’s not really noisy it’s just annoying when your out for a quiet and leisurely drive.

I am mechanical minded maybe this has come up before it’s the first time of owning an sc430  what a beautiful car, thanks in advance.

chris

The back plate for the handbrake shoes are common for rubbing on the back of the brake disc.(it’s an age/ wear thing)

Remove Caliper and disc, grind/file away the lip at the bottom of the backplate..it will be shiny where it’s been rubbing .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:17 PM, Bob King said:

The back plate for the handbrake shoes are common for rubbing on the back of the brake disc.(it’s an age/ wear thing)

Remove Caliper and disc, grind/file away the lip at the bottom of the backplate..it will be shiny where it’s been rubbing .

My backplates around the discs have been removed/rotted/fell off but I get that rubbing sound going round bends.🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

The rubbing sound is the handbrake shoes back plate rubbing on the back of the disc.

The disc could be very corroded causing it to rub, but I suspect it’s the backplate distorted due to age.

I've ground a small amount of metal off the lip,on the back plate on two SC430’s and a IS300 with good results afterwards.

see lip next to handbrake shoes, rubs around at the bottom.

IMG_2810.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Bob  you are spot on ,the rear brake discs are nearly new condition , after stripping them down 

and looking very closely I noticed a shiner area on the bottom of the ridge  , it was hard to see I spotted it only when I got my torch on it .

so I used my hand grinder to grind a small amount of metal away from the edge

fitted everything back together took it out for a test drive the car is now perfect.

I am thinking the rear brake disc being after market maybe the clearance between the 

disc and the back plate is is not enough.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links