Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TPMS failure - which make do I go for?

My LS460 (2007) went in for its MOT yesterday and on driving the night before my front HID bulb went but also the Tyre pressure sensor warning light came on. The garage put the car on the diagnostic machine and it showed TPS no 1 so I am unsure as to which one that is? It has turned off so with the bulb replaced it went through the MOT yet on an early run today the light is back on so I need to change the sensor or do I change all of them?

Can anyone recommend a make to go for?

is it usual to change the one and if so how do you know which one? Or do I change all four? 

any help and advice would be appreciated thanks

Hiya,

I came close to changing my tyre pressure sensors on my 460, but I sold the car before the tyres on it wore out and needed changing, so I didn't actually go through with it.

Don't worry about the MOT.  It is a fail item, but only on cars that are new enough to have to have them.  My car passed two MOTs with the warning light showing.

My plan was to buy genuine sensors.  There's a Lexus dealership that sells genuine parts on eBay.  They were about £30 each.  I would recommend buying five (for the spare as well) and changing the lot.  The reason they fail is that the Battery in them gets used up, so if one is in that condition, you can be pretty sure that it will not be long before the others all pop off too, each one bringing down the system til the failed one is replaced.

So my advice is to get some genuine ones (probably sooner than later, before they all disappear) and keep them til you change your tyres.  They have a serial number, and it's important that you have a copy of that serial number before they disappear into the tyre because they have to be programmed into the car - again, I'd advise programming them in before getting them fitted (but at the last moment) so you knew they were all connecting.

Just don't panic about it! You'll not be using run flats, so there's not the same safety thing, you will just need to get the old tyre pressure gauge out from time to time, like in the old days.

The HID bulb though, that's another matter.  Got to get in from underneath.  And it's so hard to do you'll not get Halfords to do it for you.

Sorry about that!

: o )

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links