Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best example of the SC 430

Boomer54

8 hours ago, Neil E said:

Yes a 50+ page build thread and north of £21k on additions and modifications so far. 🤣

I do think a build thread backs up a good service history. A prospective buyer looking at Glyn's thread would, I'm sure, be assured that it has been well cared for  😇 and the next owner of mine has comprehensive evidence that it has been thoroughly tested and abused.🙃

Returning to the theme of the thread, I recall LOC Europe/Germany had a nostalgia thread where contributors put forward notable SC430 from around the world. So looking further afield, a few more candidates in the customised category. Some of these have obsessive owners. 

Purple Lexon and this is SC Obsessive

The General

OTT Audio

Insane amount of money spent on those cars but they are very special. Yours Neil is the only one I have seen in the UK with a full body kit and if I didn’t need to preserve the originality of my car I would love to go down the same route you have gone although I do know you had quite a bit of fettling to get it all to fit. The body kits are not a bad price but the shipping is so expensive. My wheels came from Japan and if I didn’t want to wait for them to come by sea it would have been another £500 for airmail.

• Like 2

First thing I did was create a spreadsheet and wee macro program to show chronologically the spend on the car. Obviously I have the soul of an artist, but the head of an accountant. I suspect that combination means none of best examples shown are going to have serious competition from Lexigirl. Having said which I can think of a couple of ideas generated that will get seriously scrutinised.

My SC was always a project Soarer and a car to be used and enjoyed. I just didn't realise how long it was going to stay with me.

It's fun but you have to be prepared to write off significant sums. Looking quickly over the spreadsheet, in round figures for my car £4k exhaust, £5k audio £5k bodywork, then wheels, brakes, suspension £5k. That doesn't include any allowance for my labour and you begin to see what some of those cars must have cost to build, maintain and detail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neil E said:

My SC was always a project Soarer and a car to be used and enjoyed. I just didn't realise how long it was going to stay with me.

It's fun but you have to be prepared to write off significant sums. Looking quickly over the spreadsheet, in round figures for my car £4k exhaust, £5k audio £5k bodywork, then wheels, brakes, suspension £5k. That doesn't include any allowance for my labour and you begin to see what some of those cars must have cost to build, maintain and detail.

To be fair I paid the full 10k for this ,because some of your spend had already been done to my satisfaction. Like the exhaust, majority of brakes and suspension (coilovers). Also satisfied with the current audio and exactly how good it is I don't know, because I am virtually deaf in one ear and not that good in the other. Stew is probably thinking he had not noticed, but I lip read well as I have been doing it for most of my life. Anyway the Audio is good enough for me. So, my rough guesstimate on buying this was that I would spend circa 10 to 15k doing mechanical/structural stuff, now and future, with the rest getting the leatherwork and body right on point including some dream alloys at some point.  I was inspired by Nigel? doing his leather seats so I am determined to have a go at that as it's my kind of thing to do. Likewise I am going to take the finish on the bodywork right back and rebuild it. Hence, I will have to spend on an erectable outside 'tent' so I can work out of the weather. Depending how I do with that work I might underspend, or just decide it's not good enough and pay for it to be redone.

At the end of it, at my age I could have gone out and spent 20 to 30k buying something a couple of years old with not much mileage and been bored to tears, but if I was going to do that then I don't think I would have waited since I sold my last car in 2016 to do it. My wife has been teasing me to buy a new Aston Martin for years, but I wanted a car that 'grabbed' me and motivated me to create a project with it. The SC 430 is that car. Personally I don't care about resale issues I will leave that to my wife/daughter to determine. I am here for a Good Time not a Long Time and the car is a part of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve in your quest for near perfection, I have bought a 10 Yr old Rav 4 and the first thing I have had done is the underside steam cleaned and lanoguarded professionally, below is a short video of my car getting its first of 3 coats, might be an idea for you 🤔 Stew

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Localhero said:

Hi Steve in your quest for near perfection, I have bought a 10 Yr old Rav 4 and the first thing I have had done is the underside steam cleaned and lanoguarded professionally, below is a short video of my car getting its first of 3 coats, might be an idea for you 🤔 Stew

Thanks Stew. I think that's on the cards sooner than later. Are 3 coats the recommended treatments , or how did you come to the decision to use 3 coats? Is that a local place you have used before? Did they do the SC 430?

Blue skies here in Preston so lost no time in dropping the hood and heading out to the coast for a couple of hours earlier in the day. Range Rover was tailgating me as I came back using the M55 so I thought what the hell punched the P3.9 and left him to wonder why he wasn't driving  a SC 430 rather than that piece of mediocre beep beep. Buying this, one of my better decisions !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, lanoguard, you can buy it yourself as a kit and there are places that will do it for you,  cost seems to vary from place to place, and can vary between £250 and  £500+ iam having mine done in Wrexham,  if you Google lanoguard  you will see a map of application centres there is certainly one in Blackpool, and probably in Preston,  I must stress I am not endorsing this but it gets very positive reviews, lots of videos on YouTube, I will try and post link 🙂 Stew

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links