Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 (1994) failed MOT

TomDickHarri

1. "Brake Pipe leaking on a hydraulic braking system Offside Rear (behind exhaust back box)"

2. "Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn Offside Rear Lower"

Garage asked Lexus Milton Keynes about getting parts but was told they couldn't source required pipe and bush. Garage got part numbers and searched internet without any luck.

Does anyone know where I can get - Pipe: 48815-50080 and Bush: 90413-10234.

Pity, car running (and stopping) perfectly: Can't believe we're about to lose it for lack of a couple of parts.

Any suggestions appreciated (except "bite the bullet and scrap the car" :sad:)

I find it amazing that your garage is bereft of common sense trying to source relatively simple parts 

Brake pipes come off a roll usually 

The other parts from Rockauto as above or Amayama maybe ….. just get a better garage on board to search the internet a lot more thoroughly …… and do this relatively simple maintenance work 

All your parts will be available   Your garage needs to be more diligent 

Yiu are using an independent credible garage for maintenance etc ? 

Do tell us more about your rare car 

Malc 

Thanks guys, most grateful for your ideas. I tried to get on with Rockauto but found it utterly confusing. On the other hand Amayama was a model of simplicity and showed parts explosions which I took to Adam (MOT expert) who was able to say that the Suspension Arm bush part number supplied by Lexus was incorrect.

The leaking brake pipe part (90413-10234) was confirmed as correctly numbered and Amayama could supply it at a cost of £4.48 + P&P £7.29. Let joy be unconfined! The bad news however is that the incorrectly identified Suspension Arm bush is not so easily found. The parts explosion shows the part number to be 48780C (I think) but keyed into the Search box, the response is "Product not found" so I'm stumped.

I don't know of any Lexus experts in Bedford. A number of garages list the Lexus in their line-up of catered-for cars, but "I'm sorry, we no longer have Lexus expertise here".

With the level of MOT failure (dangerous defects), I'm no longer allowed to drive the car + the old MOT ran out yesterday 25th October + Road Tax & Insurance will also cease by the end of October: My options are somewhat limited, shortly to be non-existent. I'd still like to get the parts and hope, in the future, to find someone to do the work. It's my fault, for taking the car for granted for so long.

7 hours ago, TomDickHarri said:

I don't know of any Lexus experts in Bedford.

WHY DO YOU THINK YOU NEED A LEXUS EXPERT ???

I've only ever used my local indy garages for the past 25 years with my Ls400s ......  it's simply a car and older parts are available with some diligent sensible searching by the competent and sensible garage you want to trust to do your work   ..  my old Ls400 has recently been fitted with 2nd hand bits from the USA by the previous owner .  but I don't know which supplier it was

I think the plethora of Ls400s in the USA has spawned a great number of spares there.

Go find some long established back street garage and tell them your predicament and get them to do the whole job .  let them make some useful profit and you'll be fine I'm sure

Give the job to someone who knows about cars eh !   Maybe get them to do a MOT re-test too !

Good luck

Malc

Thanks Malc but our experiences of back street garages are very different. Either you've been very lucky or you're a better judge of character than I. 

I'll phone a garage with a good reputation. I used them once before but they're very expensive.

Thanks for all your help but please don't shout; I'm only li'le 🤏 (and car-clueless 🚗🤷‍♀️).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TomDickHarri said:

Thanks Malc but our experiences of back street garages are very different. Either you've been very lucky or you're a better judge of character than I. 

I'll phone a garage with a good reputation. I used them once before but they're very expensive.

Thanks for all your help but please don't shout; I'm only li'le 🤏 (and car-clueless 🚗🤷‍♀️).

Not sure where you are, but try lex tek in Sheffield 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@TomDickHarri Have you tried Amayama and Megazip? They ship parts from Japan, so as long as you know the PNs (which you seem to know) it should be fine. I bought from them in the past and they're legit.

Be mindful the order may come with some customs charge once it enters the UK but it may be worth it if you can't source them around here. 🙂

LS400 is a classic and worth to keep going. Did you ever watch a short-lived comedy show called "Carpoolers" ? they ride an LS400 every day on their way to work....

Special update for Malc1

Phoned Lexus about the parts needed; turns out they were able to supply the bits for the suspension arm but not the 90413-10234 part catchily named "Way 2" which is obsolete.
After taking the order for "Way 2" (less than £12 including P&P) Amayama found they couldn't supply it. Japanese company 'BE Forward' contacted and quoted $7 for the part and $38 dollars postage. When they couldn't supply the part, I even lost out on the conversion rate.
Of course it's now occurred to me that customs would have lumped a charge on the full $45 🥴 so perhaps I got off lightly. The same will apply if I could ever find it in the U.S.
So I'm depending on LS400 breakers in the UK. Most were unable to supply but one said it was a "brake compensator" and could be supplied for £130. Checked with Lexus MK - no such thing on an LS400 and if they had the part I needed, it would cost £25.
I conclude that the breaker was genuinely mistaken or giving the part a name that would demand a much higher price than a mere connector. There seem to be fewer LS400s being broken up sooooooooo?
The car is no longer insured, taxed, MOTd, repaired - all inter-dependant - and sits on the driveway sulking (Battery still keeping it alive).
A local garage said that if I got the parts they could collect the car, fit them and re-MOT. I bought the Suspension arm bit from Lexus (£70) before I discovered I might not get my own 'WAY' 😕 😭

TDH I think you’re being given the runaround by your seemingly useless Indy garage ……

Your car is certainly repairable at modest cost if what you’re saying is actually all the relatively simple issues 

You just got to find someone local who wants to help you I’m thinking …… building a good rapport with an Indy mechanic is and always has been the way to build that confidence, both ways I would say ….. 

Be a Shame if you can’t get her Road and MOT ok 

Good luck 

Malc

Thanks Mr_Groundhog, haven't heard of Megazip...... giving them a try now.

Ouch, another knock-back.............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"90413-10234 Way, No.2(For Rear Brake Tube), Toyota
Part Number 90413-10234, 9041310234
Way, No.2(For Rear Brake Tube), Toyota 90413-10234 oem parts
Sorry, this part is currently out of stock"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also haven't heard of "Carpoolers". I'll see if it's on UK TV Play; could do with some spirit-uplift.

• Like 1

Thanks Messi, finally managed to contact them but they don't keep any Lexus-specific parts and I don't imagine any other parts supplier being able to source such a small insignificant part; though for me it's vital in getting an MOT.

The Japanese suppliers were selling the part for approx £5 so it can't be very big. I'll just have to keep checking eBay car breakers and hope one of them recognises the part and doesn't try to inflate its importance and price.

TDH …… I understand there’s a huge number of now ancient Ls400s reposing in USA, the main overseas market for this model …… perhaps extend your search to there !

Malc 

Thanks Malc, I've been looking through US sites. I've got a niece in America who could save me being caned by Customs. From the lack of replies, they're not interested in sending outside America: After all there doesn't seem to be much profit in the sale of such a small item. The other stumbling block is that I'm not sure the Japanese/UK parts have the same number and description as those on the American market. For example, the GS300, bought to fill the void left by the LS400, has an oil leak so I need new Rocker Cover gaskets and looking at the YouTube videos, I see Americans call them Valve Cover gaskets. Divided by a common language? Absolutely. I might be looking for 'The Part With No Name'.

I really must get the 400 back on the road: The 300 is bringing out the worst in me; I'm no longer that sort of driver.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links