Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driver Door Speaker Problem

Hi guys,

I've gone through the process of refoaming every speaker in the car and it all went well. I now have sound through every speaker in the car except the drivers door woofer.

The tweeter is playing fine and I've swapped the front and rear speaker which both work when connected to the back so the actual speaker is fine, it just isn't getting signal. Does anyone know how the front speakers are wired from the amp? Is it parallel or series with the tweeter? Are there any common cable problems? I don't fancy tracing the cable from the speaker all the way to the amp.

Thanks

Have you checked the speaker settings on the audio screen to make sure the front left and right are set in the middle on the balance control and not fully to the left speaker?

The tweeter and squawker ( woofer is the bass speaker on the rear parcel shelf) are wired in parallel so chances are there is a break in the wiring between the two.

I've never heard to them referred to as squawkers but you learn something new. I'd call the parcel shelf one a subwoofer but either way. Yeah basically when I balance/fade to front right only the tweeter plays. Anyone know how to get to all the wiring between the two?

Could be a busted external wire or could be that there is a break in the wiring inside the speaker itself.
When I had to replace my Sub, I took it apart afterwards and found that the wire had broken off where it goes into the voice-coil, so that Sub was never going to work again.
Is your system the Mark Levinson? Any photos of the problem speaker? Have you removed the speaker from the car and inspected it?

On my 2004 with Mark Levinson the front door speakers don't have a tweeter, only a 6.5" woofer. The front tweeter is in the dashboard.
The rear door speakers have a 4" woofer and a piezo-electric tweeter and have a capacitor/resistor passive crossover built in.

Most woofer/tweeter combos have a local passive crossover filter on the speaker itself (normally a capacitor and a resistor) that separates low/mid-frequency that goes to the woofer and high-frequency that goes to the tweeter. However, since the speakers only respond to certain frequency ranges, some cheaper systems don't bother and just wire the speakers in parallel.

Subwoofer - 20Hz to 200Hz (8" to 18" coil speaker)
Woofer - 200Hz to 2500Hz (3" to 12" coil speaker)
Tweeter - 2500Hz to 20000Hz (3" or less piezo-electric or coil speaker)

Yeah the speaker works when plugged into the rear door so it's definitely OK. Do you know if there's an external crossover for the dash tweeter and door speaker? I might be able to take a wire from there directly to the door speaker.

I was wrong!
Having found the wiring diagram the tweeter and door speaker are fed separately from the amplifier as circled in the picture so no external crossover.

You need to confirm the wiring continuity of the door front right speaker to the amplifier so the light green and blue wires. Difficult to tell from the diagram but check for these wires on plugs S28/29/30 pins 1 and 8.

If you do have continuity you may have a channel down on the amplifier.

IMG_1059.png

IMG_1058.jpeg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links