Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infinity Exhaust Bristol Excellent!

Menopaws

Just returned from the above mentioned company and am well impressed with the service and my SC now sounds like the V8 it should have from the factory.
So, my wheels are in poor condition, the car is a recent purchase so I’m not to blame , I have had two new tyres a few weeks ago but have decided to either refurbish the wheels but am tempted to replace them, I do like some that are fitted to the larger saloons, any advice on using 17” wheels with higher profile tyres to hopefully improve the ride? Any suggestions appreciated. 
Thanks, Mike 

If a 17" rim with a +45mm offset (or close to it), that clears the brake caliper can be found then yes that should work.

With a good standard suspension set up and 245 40 18s, the ride ought be quite comfortable, always assuming no one uses run-flats any more. 

Upgrading to the later suspension or fitting aftermarket coil-overs should improve the ride-handling experience too. Many owners have chosen to use coil-overs. It's worth reading the threads on suspension and wheels to gain a good understanding of the various options. For wheel and tyre fitment, try this www.willtheyfit.com/

Michael, When you change your alloys sometimes the TPMS tyre valves and system are not compatible. If this happens then an easy fix is to unplug the TPMS module which is located under the stereo unit (remove the gear shift centre console). This turns off the dash warning light.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Neil and Nigel, I will think about changing wheels as and when they become available, in the meantime I will have mine refurbished. The ride isn’t too bad and they’re not runflats, I was just thinking the low profile doesn’t help the ride, also they are a bit more vulnerable, I caught a tyre on a kerb in a supermarket yesterday and it’s toast, time for a new front pair , grrr! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Menopaws said:

Thanks Neil and Nigel, I will think about changing wheels as and when they become available, in the meantime I will have mine refurbished. The ride isn’t too bad and they’re not runflats, I was just thinking the low profile doesn’t help the ride, also they are a bit more vulnerable, I caught a tyre on a kerb in a supermarket yesterday and it’s toast, time for a new front pair , grrr! 

Ouch! Yes it's difficult to find a good ride / handling compromise. I think I'm on 275 35 19 rear and 255 40 19 front on a staggered set up now. 285 30 19 and 245 40 19 were great for handling on smooth surfaces but too aggressive for the state of our roads. 

35 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Ouch! Yes it's difficult to find a good ride / handling compromise. I think I'm on 275 35 19 rear and 255 40 19 front on a staggered set up now. 285 30 19 and 245 40 19 were great for handling on smooth surfaces but too aggressive for the state of our roads. 

I’m on 9.5j rims 255/35 19” Michelin Sport 4s and 10.5j rims 275/30 19” on the rear and to me it is a really comfortable ride on the standard suspension. I have an RX450h with 20” wheels and I would go as far to say the ride on the SC is much nicer and my wife agrees so it is not just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I’m on 9.5j rims 255/35 19” Michelin Sport 4s and 10.5j rims 275/30 19” on the rear and to me it is a really comfortable ride on the standard suspension. I have an RX450h with 20” wheels and I would go as far to say the ride on the SC is much nicer and my wife agrees so it is not just me.

Wow that's impressive Glyn, the RX ought to be a magic carpet ride. Perhaps the Michelins are that much better than Continentals. 

My ancient RX and GS are both noticeably more comfortable than the SC430. The RX has Michelin Winters and the GS has Crossclimate 2. I suppose The SC is slightly lowered on the coil-overs and they are set firm upfront and at the mid point rear. The RX300 has air suspension and feels almost as good as the new RX450H L I had as a loaner from the dealer.

1 hour ago, Neil E said:

Wow that's impressive Glyn, the RX ought to be a magic carpet ride. Perhaps the Michelins are that much better than Continentals. 

My ancient RX and GS are both noticeably more comfortable than the SC430. The RX has Michelin Winters and the GS has Crossclimate 2. I suppose The SC is slightly lowered on the coil-overs and they are set firm upfront and at the mid point rear. The RX300 has air suspension and feels almost as good as the new RX450H L I had as a loaner from the dealer.

The issue with the RX probably relates to my own decision to source and have fitted a new tyre developed by Michelin specifically for electric and hybrid cars. They are acoustically quiet and have a low rolling resistance the down side is because of the weight of this type  of car they have much firmer side walls giving a firmer ride which I hadn’t realised so I now regret buying them.  Unfortunately at £800 and with the low mileage I cover I am going to be stuck with them for a long time. I  sometimes think of fitting smaller diameter wheels because at my age I love comfort above anything else but I am not sure of what to fit as it doesn’t seem a common subject for a MK4 RX.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

The issue with the RX probably relates to my own decision to source and have fitted a new tyre developed by Michelin specifically for electric and hybrid cars. They are acoustically quiet and have a low rolling resistance the down side is because of the weight of this type  of car they have much firmer side walls giving a firmer ride which I hadn’t realised so I now regret buying them.  Unfortunately at £800 and with the low mileage I cover I am going to be stuck with them for a long time. I  sometimes think of fitting smaller diameter wheels because at my age I love comfort above anything else but I am not sure of what to fit as it doesn’t seem a common subject for a MK4 RX.

It depends on what the general duty of the car is I suppose but I agree, larger diameter wheels with lower profile tyres work against the comfort and practicality of an SUV. Fair enough if it never goes off tarmac or into the wild but I think of it as a 4 x 4 that will get me anywhere I choose to go. Michelin Crossclimate 2 are a good compromise and the SC430 has high performance soft sticky wide stuff. 

If the SC was a daily driver it would be on Crossclimates November to April. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links