Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC 300h F-Sport 2018 boot latch issues

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone is having/had problems with the boot latch not working?

If I open the boot, sometimes, it won't close again. I was told by the AA to quickly press the button that opens it a few time till I hear a clunk.

This neat trick does work but it's not permanent. In fact it's getting worse to the point going over a bump opens the boot.

I will no doubt go to Lexus to take a look but if I can fix it myself it would be preferable.

Cheers!

I think the boot release system operates electronically to undo the catch and then a concealed metal spring actually opens the boot lid.It sounds like a poor electrical contact for the release mechanism..,.I've not experienced any problems with mine.

I recall a related but less serious problem with the boot-lid of my 2016 RC300h.  Quite often it didn't close at the first attempt, and on one occasion it sprang open when I drove over a bump.   I resolved the problem simply by putting a drop of oil on the catch and its housing and working the mechanism a few times.  To be precise, I used Singer Sewing Machine Oil, courtesy of my wife - but I'm sure any light mineral oil would also have done the trick.  I don't know if this will also work for you, but it will do no harm to try.

I had an issue where it wouldn't always close if I tried to close it with reasonable force, so I had to slam it all the time like an animal... couldn't live long enough with the car for that to become an issue that needed a solution, so sadly can't advise how to resolve it. 

One guess - how about "bumpers" adjustment, maybe they got lose and it doesn't close far enough to trigger the locking mechanism, they can be simply adjusted by screwing them in or out (in your case probably in). I just can't associate electrical issue with Lexus (they are just not known for failing in such way), unless the rear of the car was previously damaged and poorly repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, @DavidCM, @Rabbers & @Linas.P,

I'll give the oil and bumper adjustment a look. I have never had electrical issue with any Lexus I've had but I will treat it as a last possibility when options have ran out. Although the spring could be what needs oil 🙂.

I'll provide an update in the future.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links