Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12v battery charge

Newbie777

3 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Hello,

As its winter season, does anyone charge their 12v AGM battery?

if so, do you just directly  connect the trickle charger, set to AGM and no other changes are  needed?

Thanks

BTW.. mine looks like the original Panasonic battery

Nope - the car does that while I'm driving. Unless you don't use it regularly you shouldn't need to do anything special. I do about 15k miles a year and my 2014 IS 300h now has 140k miles on it and still on the original 12v Battery. And I've left it for 10 days recently without using it and it started just fine. How many more years the Battery has left in it I don't know but I have one of the lithium jump packs in the glove box just in case which will get me mobile in a matter of minutes if there is a problem. When the Battery finally dies I'll get another fitted and not be worried. You should only need to trickle charge if you leave the car for a few weeks unused and then only do drive a short time before leaving it again for a long time. Regular use of a few hours a week will maintain the 12V Battery with no problems. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Nope - the car does that while I'm driving. Unless you don't use it regularly you shouldn't need to do anything special. I do about 15k miles a year and my 2014 IS 300h now has 140k miles on it and still on the original 12v battery. And I've left it for 10 days recently without using it and it started just fine. How many more years the battery has left in it I don't know but I have one of the lithium jump packs in the glove box just in case which will get me mobile in a matter of minutes if there is a problem. When the battery finally dies I'll get another fitted and not be worried. You should only need to trickle charge if you leave the car for a few weeks unused and then only do drive a short time before leaving it again for a long time. Regular use of a few hours a week will maintain the 12V battery with no problems. 

Thank you  wharfhouse,,that is re-assuring and one less thing to do.

I did have the connector cables attached to the Battery today, so it would be easy to hook up to the trickle charger, but looks like that will not be needed now -I was worried the Battery may drain with the ML volume turned up.lol 

2 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Thank you  wharfhouse,,that is re-assuring and one less thing to do.

I did have the connector cables attached to the battery today, so it would be easy to hook up to the trickle charger, but looks like that will not be needed now -I was worried the battery may drain with the ML volume turned up.lol 

So long as the car is running in either on D or P then no problem (whether it's moving or not is immaterial as it's a DC to DC charger for the hybrid Battery to the 12V battery). The ICE will start as needed to recharge the hybrid Battery if it runs low. However, never put the car for any length of time in N (as this does not charge the hybrid battery) and never sit listening to the sound system without the car actually running (in P if you're not going anywhere) as the 12V Battery is quite small and so can be drained in that case - with the car running (in P if stationary) that means the the hybrid Battery will keep the 12V Battery charged and the ICE will start as necessary to replenish the hybrid Battery

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Nope - the car does that while I'm driving. Unless you don't use it regularly you shouldn't need to do anything special. I do about 15k miles a year and my 2014 IS 300h now has 140k miles on it and still on the original 12v battery. And I've left it for 10 days recently without using it and it started just fine. How many more years the battery has left in it I don't know but I have one of the lithium jump packs in the glove box just in case which will get me mobile in a matter of minutes if there is a problem. When the battery finally dies I'll get another fitted and not be worried. You should only need to trickle charge if you leave the car for a few weeks unused and then only do drive a short time before leaving it again for a long time. Regular use of a few hours a week will maintain the 12V battery with no problems. 

Absolutely Spot on..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links