Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newer engine into older model

Hello!

I am looking for some clarity as I can't seem to find anything myself about this topic I have a 2007 is220d exec and I've blown the head (surprising I know) I'm going to put a new engine in but I don't want to put one of the old troublesome engines back in and instead I want to put in a newer 2010 or up model engine

My problem is I can't find anyone who's done this before and I'm a bit lost on whether it will work or not.. any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!!

I don't believe I know anyone who have done it, main reason - it is likely uneconomical repair i.e. your car is worth less than the cost of buying and fitting the new engine.

Now theoretically - could it be done? Yes, 100% - it is direct fit, take old one out, put new one in, they are identical engines, just one has slightly stronger head gasket. The only caveat - you will also need new ECU (engine computer) if you really want improved reliability. This is because never engine (engine model - 2AD-FTV) is slightly detuned (making 150hp instead of 179hp) compared to old engine (2AD-FHV). So yes - new engine has slightly updated head-gasket which is stronger, but key difference which makes it more reliable is that it makes less power and that is ECU that makes this difference. Also it is slightly more economical on fuel. 

You can make a compromise, little bit of "Frankenstein", and use 2AD-FTV with ECU from 2AD-FHV. This should give you stronger headgasket, but without reduction of power and without improvement of fuel economy. Here you would be trading little bit of improved reliability for keeping little bit more of power.

Again - this is all hypothetical, because I don't believe repairing IS220d is economical to begin with and it is not like newer engine is that much more reliable, it is slightly more reliable and chances are it will last you as long as you keep the car, but it still inherently has same issues as older engine.

In short - yes it could be done, yes it is direct fit and basically identical engine, yes it will work in place of old engine without problems, but if you really want improved reliability then you as well need ECU... BUT - it is likely uneconomical repair.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, ChloeODwyer said:

Hello!

I am looking for some clarity as I can't seem to find anything myself about this topic I have a 2007 is220d exec and I've blown the head (surprising I know) I'm going to put a new engine in but I don't want to put one of the old troublesome engines back in and instead I want to put in a newer 2010 or up model engine

My problem is I can't find anyone who's done this before and I'm a bit lost on whether it will work or not.. any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!!

I don't wanna be that guy, but you really need to buy an IS250 instead. Engine swap with all the work etc we're talking 1000-2000 quid.. You can buy a 250 for 2k. There's currently a silver one on marketplace for £995 with a slipping clutch (£600 fix and you're good to go). 130k miles manual 250 on a '55 plate so lower tax bracket. Like @Linas.P already said, it's definitely possible to swap it, but the amount of hours needed to undergo this project is what's making it expensive... unless you can do all the work yourself 🙂

Also, there is a reconditioned 220d engine on eBay - £1600 supply & fit. Finding the newer, FTV engine is a bit tricky too because there wasn't that many diesels after 2010 and those are generally okay. It's the early cars that have been affected the worst and therefore lots available.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:05 AM, H3XME said:

I don't wanna be that guy, but you really need to buy an IS250 instead. Engine swap with all the work etc we're talking 1000-2000 quid.. You can buy a 250 for 2k. There's currently a silver one on marketplace for £995 with a slipping clutch (£600 fix and you're good to go). 130k miles manual 250 on a '55 plate so lower tax bracket. Like @Linas.P already said, it's definitely possible to swap it, but the amount of hours needed to undergo this project is what's making it expensive... unless you can do all the work yourself 🙂

Also, there is a reconditioned 220d engine on eBay - £1600 supply & fit. Finding the newer, FTV engine is a bit tricky too because there wasn't that many diesels after 2010 and those are generally okay. It's the early cars that have been affected the worst and therefore lots available.

Well I guess one can get whole crashed 2010+ IS200d for £1000, but you correct on both parts.

1. getting FTV engine already outside of the car will cost as much as whole IS220d in running condition.

2. once everything is done and engine fitted... you may as well have yourself IS250 both manual or even automatic. 

I guess it made sense to fix IS220d's when they were still around £3000-4000, but now that they are trending ~£1500 I just can't see any way to do it economically. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links