Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time for a change?

Den2024

Hello everyone 🙂

We have had Audi A5's for the past 15 years but as we are now heading towards retirement we are looking for something with more comfort and a few miles per gallon more.  We have a test drive on the ES 300H premium on Saturday.

I know the ES won't be as quick off the mark as the Audi but two things concern me a little.  The CVT transmission and road holding.  Is there a noticeable delay when you press the accelerator?  Front wheel drive dies the car grip okay in the British climate?

If you can think of anything else we should be aware of before the weekend I would so appreciate you letting me know.

TIA

Denise

Hi Denise and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. Audi A5's ? Not a car I've ever liked. What engines in them did you have?

The ES300h is a fabulous looking car and according to owners on this forum drives like a dream. I therefore recommend you look in the ES section of the forum and peruse what's been inputted there.

Regarding the CVT transmission. When you floor the accelerator pedal you'll notice the revs climb sharply and your rate of road progression not quite as fast as the revs have shot. It could be a little disconcerting But once you've mastered the transmission, which coming from and I'm assuming automatic cars, you'll master very very quickly. 

You'll notice a serene experience driving the ES once you've mastered the CVT.

Once you own the ES you'll wonder why you didn't go Lexus years ago. You won't get a more reliable brand and the service centres are second to none.

Enjoy your test drive.

• Like 2

I agree with all what Mr Vlad has said. Niggles for me are the limited steering lock and the concern of theft.  I am coming up to my 4th.  I feel the build quality and reliability is second to none.  But you should explore all alternatives. Welcome, possibly to the Forum. All the best with your test drive.

I take it you are looking at used? All lexuses from the past few years are highly susceptible to being stolen using the can bus method. Where thieves tear down your bumper and connect to your headlight wiring to gain access to the cars computer then hack it to start without needing a key. Even if they dont manage to steal it several people on this forum have ended up spending on repairs to the bumper + dealing with the hassle of claiming insurance + being without a car for weeks. Unless you have a gated compound to your house I would say this is something to be aware of as this means insurance prices might be very high + its a lot of hassle if your car gets targeted. I think the newer cars have this issue fixed.

Else the car itself is a great buy like any other Toyota lexus product. Some elements of driving a hybrid take a bit of getting used to like the cvt box but its not a big deal for normal driving. One thing good about hybrids is the super low maintenance. Brakes and tyres last forever and theres not much else other than regular fluid changes that is needed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links