Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior leak from roof

We have a 70-plate RX 450h Takumi that we bought in June 2023 from a main Lexus dealer.  It is our fourth Lexus from them, and up to now we have enjoyed excellent customer service. 

On two occasions over the past month we have noticed a drip inside the car roof coming from the edge of the interior light cluster, close to the sunroof switch.  It is more obvious when we set off, as it seems to dribble out of the interior light - not from the area around the light/sunroof switch cluster, but directly from the edge of the larger (middle) of the three interior LED touch lights.

I reverse the car on to the driveway, so it is parked on a relatively level drive, slightly nose down facing the road.  The slight incline might be enough to pool any water towards the front of the car - could it be due to blocked drain holes?  We haven't replaced the windscreen - it is the one that came with the car when we bought it from the Lexus dealer last year, so I assume it is the original.

I have attached some pics showing the drips forming and the puddle of water on the touchpad.

We complained last month and took it to the Lexus dealer who removed the light/switch cluster and they found no evidence of moisture.  It has happened again this week, so the problem has definitely not gone away and I have been in an email conversation with the service manager.  This is his latest response: 

We will need to get the vehicle in for another water leak test. It sounds like we will need to remove the headlining to have full visibility of the sun roof mechanism. We will check the drains for blockages first. To make you aware, if we need to remove the headlining you are looking at a cost of £250 for the diagnostics. Once we have diagnosed the vehicle, we will then need to advise what the fault is. 

I have replied to the effect that this should be covered by the warranty, shouldn't it?  

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

f4ae69fb-99f5-41ac-b5ab-40dde2839c90.JPG

37 minutes ago, Goodplan53 said:

I have replied to the effect that this should be covered by the warranty, shouldn't it?

So as a 70 plate you will be outside the 3-year manufacturers warranty, if this was this an approved Lexus vehicle I would expect it to be covered by the 1-year approved warranty.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/buying-used-lexus/

Our confidence in the quality of the Lexus Select Approved Pre-Owned programme is reflected in the fact that each vehicle comes with at least one year’s unlimited mileage warranty. So comprehensive is the warranty that it is equivalent to that offered when the vehicle was new, with the exception of consumable items such as batteries, exhausts and wiper blades, which are covered for three months or 3,000 miles.

Thank you Andrew, that's helpful. I will go back to the Lexus dealer and ask about the Pre-Owned Approved warranty.

Since I posted my topic earlier today, the service manager has added: 

Unfortunately, until we find the issue, I am unable to clarify whether it will be covered by warranty. The diagnostics is not covered by warranty. The charge would still be applicable.

3 hours ago, Goodplan53 said:

Thank you Andrew, that's helpful. I will go back to the Lexus dealer and ask about the Pre-Owned Approved warranty.

Since I posted my topic earlier today, the service manager has added: 

Unfortunately, until we find the issue, I am unable to clarify whether it will be covered by warranty. The diagnostics is not covered by warranty. The charge would still be applicable.

That is correct. 

There is a diagnostic charge initially and it is the same as most manufacturers under the approved used scheme or extended warranty. If the fault is found and covered by the warranty then it'll be waived and everything fixed under the warranty.

If not, you usually pay the diagnostic charge and then the dealer will give you a quote which you can choose to accept or not.

More than likely the sunroof drains are blocked, more so if the car has spent time under trees

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links