Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat battery ticking noise when trying to recharge

Hi, My starter Battery has just gone totally flat overnight, absolutely no light or sign of life in the car. I have put a charger on it and there is a ticking coming from near the left hand headlight cluster. I am miles away from being a mechanic, but would that be a relay ticking? If so or this normal with a dead Battery until it is recharged? Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

39 minutes ago, graham Woolhead said:

would that be a relay ticking? If so or this normal with a dead battery until it is recharged?

Yes, probably. It is certainly one of the systems trying to power up, such as the alarm, which draws too much current for the Battery to support which cuts the power so you get this cycling. 

I would recommend you disconnect the Battery from the vehicle until it is charged up and then connect it back to the vehicle - and be prepared for the alarm to go off if it was previously armed when the Battery went flat. 

I had already replied to your other identical posting - which I've now removed as there is no need for duplicate posts.

Okay thanks CoinBarber. Jumpstarted it then took it for a 6mile spin and currently have it on charge in situ. Will disconnect from the vehicle and charge overnight. When driving, it was charging at 13.7 - 13.8 v. when parked up the Battery had come up from nil to 25 percent charged. I had driven through some unexpectedly deep water last Friday during a prolonged downpour and wondering if that might throw up any problems. Hoping the heat from the engine might help evaporate any water lodged in the engine bay although of no use to the undercarriage. I will get back later tomorrow for an update.

Of course it started first touch of the key. Still charging at 13.8v. Is this okay, as I saw in another thread that anything below 14v was a problem. Have purchased a booster pack in case this repeats.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links