Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dealership Gaff Is300h F sport wheel damage

So I got my 2015 IS300h F sport serviced at Lexus today.

Shortly after dropping the car off they rang me to explain they pranged a front wheel and burst the tyre on their car ramp. They offered to replace the tyre and respray the rim free of charge course.

Upon driving the car home I realised they replaced the Dunlop Sport Max RT2 (I have these on all 4 corners) with a Dunlop Sport Max RT (older version with no rim protector.

I called the dealership and they said the service manager will ring me back tomorrow.

I am due to take the car in the week after next for the wheel respray and I am going to request they replace the RT with the correct RT2. 

Now a respray on the wheels will never be an exact match so the service manager said they would spray both on the damaged side. Would you guys ask they to spray all 4 wheels considering they further inconvenienced me by putting the wrong replacement tyre on the car which wasn't like for like or am I being a pain?

Thanks

There’s a fine line between compensation and pushing it. I’d personally be happy with a full correction of the alloy and the matching tyre.

It might be best to let them know about the tyre in advance, in case they have to order one in.

9 minutes ago, binnocorp said:

There’s a fine line between compensation and pushing it. I’d personally be happy with a full correction of the alloy and the matching tyre.

It might be best to let them know about the tyre in advance, in case they have to order one in.

I get what you're saying. They are aware of the wrong tyre that's what I'm waiting on the call back for.

Will the resprayed wheels look a lot newer than the other side though? I've never had a wheel resprayed/refurbished.

Respray rings alarm bells with me, sounds like a rattle can job from Halfords.  Bear in mind most dealerships don't have a bodyshop facility.

I would be asking for a professional refurbishment of the wheel, also needs to be properly checked for any structural damage.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Respray rings alarm bells with me, sounds like a rattle can job from Halfords.  Bear in mind most dealerships don't have a bodyshop facility.

I would be asking for a professional refurbishment of the wheel, also needs to be properly checked for any structural damage.

Thanks for the reply. The service manager has said the wheel will look brand new so I assumed they'd be doing a proper job. Reckon it's worth confirming how they're carrying out the work? I'll definitely make sure they check for structural damage as the part of their ramp they hit the wheel on 'went right through and burst the tyre' in the service managers own words.

10 minutes ago, Banbury23 said:

Thanks for the reply. The service manager has said the wheel will look brand new so I assumed they'd be doing a proper job. Reckon it's worth confirming how they're carrying out the work? I'll definitely make sure they check for structural damage as the part of their ramp they hit the wheel on 'went right through and burst the tyre' in the service managers own words.

Definitely ask what process is. A smart repair is an isolated touch up. Any photos? As someone above mentioned, is it structurally compromised?

A proper job is the removal of current finish and a full finish. I’d be demanding this especially if the wheels were mint before. Might as well do all 4 at that point. 

You don’t want to take advantage but you don’t want the car to look odd with one wheel shinier than the other.

I also change tyres in pairs. Unless tyre was very new, they’ll now have different levels of wear on the same axle. 

19 minutes ago, binnocorp said:

Hope you get this sorted. Make sure to post a pic of how the refurb goes!

Thanks I will do.

10 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Definitely ask what process is. A smart repair is an isolated touch up. Any photos? As someone above mentioned, is it structurally compromised?

A proper job is the removal of current finish and a full finish. I’d be demanding this especially if the wheels were mint before. Might as well do all 4 at that point. 

You don’t want to take advantage but you don’t want the car to look odd with one wheel shinier than the other.

I also change tyres in pairs. Unless tyre was very new, they’ll now have different levels of wear on the same axle. 

Thanks for the reply. The wheel looks like it had a repair done from curbing before I bought the car so wasn't mint. I'll post pics tomorrow.

The service manager said they would paint both wheels on the damaged side so the pair on that side match. Just wondering if that's going to make them look newer on that side then they do on the other and if that is the case, is it reasonable for me to expect to have all 4 done so I don't have one side looking spanking new and the other side which are not damaged but have the original paint on looking older.

I was fine with everything that happened but the fact they didn't put the right version of the tyre on has annoyed me a tad. So just making sure I wouldn't be asking for more than should be expected. 

Re tyre wear I think the new one is 1ml more tread through the three areas than the equivalent on the right hand side

Is it driving the same is the tracking straight wheel centre as can be on a straight road? If not request for a wheel alignment surely it will have an impact on the steering if its taken a wack causing you other issues long term. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Is it driving the same is the tracking straight wheel centre as can be on a straight road? If not request for a wheel alignment surely it will have an impact on the steering if its taken a wack causing you other issues long term. 

Yes it's driving as well as ever and the steering wheel stays centred on a level straight road. Good point though thanks

4 hours ago, b4u2 said:

@Banbury23

Thanks for telling everyone where to avoid going.

I don't think I'd avoid them. The service manager did call me right the way and they are putting it right at no charge. The wrong tyre type could have been a very honest mistake as I'd assume they are busy with the bank holidays around the corner. As long as they swap the tyre to the RT2 and the wheels are corrected properly id definitely go back to them.

6 hours ago, b4u2 said:

@Banbury23

True, you have a valid point. Its how they deal with mistakes what counts.

Yep that's my view but saying that they were supposed to call me back today about fitting the wrong tyre and I've heard nothing. Will have to chase them up tomorrow which I didn't expect to have to do with Lexus

• Sad 1

@Banbury23

I think main dealers rip off with charges and prices but there are advantages like genuine parts & warranty etc.

It's annoying when you are told one thing and a word is not kept but you can always call them if necessary.

Update:

No callback after calling again on Tuesday morning. Drove into the dealership and they said they left a message which I didn't receive (benefit of the doubt given).

Have agreed to fit the correct like for like tyre when my car goes in next Monday for the wheel refurb. 

Will take before and after photos to make sure they get the match as close as possible.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links