Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all of you knowledgeable people, first timer here. I have a IS250 2008. I love it to bits but would like to update the sat nav maps.  I have checked the manual & it tells me how to eject the old dvd. I haven't done it yet as I'm not sure about taking the front panel off, in any case, when I press the MAP DVD button it says there is no DVD!  I have read up on Lexus website & they say either remove the card (I can't find one) or plug in USB stick (I can't see a USB port). Can anyone tell me where to look please as it's not obvious to me. Or doesn't it get updates? Sorry if its a stupid question but it's bothering me.

It's easier and (for the most part) more reliable to use mapping on your phone. I have a Quadlock magnetic cradle on the lower right of the windscreen and it works well.

• Like 1

Your car being 2008, it will have DVD based system. The disc is located behind hazard light switch, you can see video below on how to access it (if you wonder - yes, two pins are included in your toolbox).

That said - updating maps makes no sense, Lexus Sat-Nav was not great even when it was new, now it is horribly outdated and I don't believe latest maps are even available. You can probably get 2018 or 2020 DVD for something like £200, so all you achieving would be to replace 14 year old maps with 6 years old, still not something you can rely on when driving. 

Solution is to get aftermarket android system, which will have google maps, or even better android auto/crapple carplay and would run circles around outdated sat-nav in the car. The systems starts from around £200. £300-£400 should get you decent one, but even cheapest ones are still many times better than what came out in 2008. 

• Like 1

I agree with Linas's diagnosis, but not his prognosis. It's so much easier to use Gmaps on your phone than to replace the built-in system unit with a modern aftermarket one — which will run Gmaps

• Like 1

Well... using your phone is not so much solution for outdated maps, it is kind of workaround. Also replacement unit not only resolves the map related issues, but as well improves phone integration overall. Besides I can see why people wouldn't want to get 6 points and £1000 fine just because based on some police officer discretion they glanced too much into their phone. Replacement unit is more of permanent solution (or longer term solution), that does not involve using your phone when driving. 

• Like 1

If you still want to try - £29.99 from here for IS250 2008 to update your sat dvd but will only bring you up to 2018. As Linas says you would be updating a very old system ...https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/toyota-39-c.asp (Toyota/Lexus Gen3/5)

Better off putting the money towards android or a garmin etc imho.  

• Like 1

Hello all, I have just bought an RX450 2015 model and was told by the dealer that they will be upgrading the SatNav but due to the delay in getting the disks they will be forwarding these on to me.  Does this sound right given the comments above???

I updated my 2008 with a [iirc] a 2019 one, the original one being from 2007>2008. I don't think the 'old' system will accept anything newer. :sad:

It's obviously not bang up-to-date, but shows addresses added between the two dates.  Easy enough to do following the guides here or online.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Goonerboy said:

Hello all, I have just bought an RX450 2015 model and was told by the dealer that they will be upgrading the SatNav but due to the delay in getting the disks they will be forwarding these on to me.  Does this sound right given the comments above???

I'd be very surprised if the navigation system in something as recent as a 2015 RX runs off a DVD. It's likely updated via USB.

9 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

I'd be very surprised if the navigation system in something as recent as a 2015 RX runs off a DVD. It's likely updated via USB.

Lexus made move from DVD to HDD around ~2010, and HDD (and later solid state) versions are updated via SD card. 

For RX specifically 2010 model (which lasted until 2015) came with "new HDD based system", meaning that 2015 car definitely has that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links