Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shopping For Series Iii Ls400

It's good to hear that Maneesh wasn't injured in his recent crash.

I made some postings here about 12 - 18 months ago when I was deciding whether to buy an LS400 or a convertible. I went with a 1997 BMW 328i Convertible. I have now decided to sell it and will almost certainly buy an LS400, so I'm back!

My current car doesn't provide as much secondary safety as a Lexus LS400. The Euro NCAP testing results of the 1997 3-series BMW aren't too good at all. But the American IIHS testing results of the 1995-2000 LS400 are excellent. Plus the LS400 is heavier. So we know that if an LS400 and BMW 3-series crashed head-on, we'd rather be in the LS400 of course.

But what about primary safety? I am used to my car, which has traction control and automatic stability control. I believe these were only fitted to the LS400 from Series IV (1998), but I didn't want to buy one that new. As far as I can see, traction control was a option on the ones sold in the USA before 1998, but wasn't an option on the ones sold in the UK. Although I have seen a few early LS400s advertised in the UK's Autotrader as having traction control, which confuses me -- can anyone please advise?

Had Maneesh's car had traction control and ASC, his car would probably have imperceptably kept itself right on track, perhaps without Maneesh even realizing what would have happened had his car not had those safety features. Had Maneesh's car hit a tree and come to a sudden halt, he could easily have been killed or horribly injured.

This is why I'm somewhat hesitant about buying an LS400 without traction or ASC.

My last car was a Vauxhall Omega, which I owned for two years. Other than when moving off quickly in slippery conditions, the traction control only operated once in all the time I had the car. I was driving down the M6 south over the Thelwall Viaduct with the cruise set to 40 MPH (road works). I saw the traction control light flash for several seconds (indicating it had momentarily operated). I had not felt the car skid in any way, but had just about heard something from the wheels. Now had I not had traction control, what would have happened? I have no idea -- perhaps nothing much. Or perhaps I could have spun out and crashed... who knows. What's worse, I was actually driving to view an Audi convertible at the time, which didn't have traction control! Now I am again considering a car without traction control and ASC and I read Maneesh's story, which makes me think twice.

I have seen many reviews of the LS400. Quite a few of them say that the car needs traction control. Some say that as the car is rear-wheel drive, you should only really buy one with traction control. But surely Lexus wouldn't have sold the LS400 without traction control if it was dangerous... would they? Am I worrying about nothing? Should I just buy one without worrying about the lack of these safety features or what?

Any personal experiences, thoughts, opinions etc. to help me decide will be appreciated.

Mark

I'm not an LS owner but a GS Mk 1 owner. However, I did look very carefully at the LS before falling for the curves of the GS. In my research I am fairly sure that the Mk3 LS comes with traction control and took a reasonable leap forward over the Mk2 LS. However, the widely held view of contributors to this site is that the Mk 4 LS is the real star of the 1990-2000 LS line-up. I knew that I could not run to Mk 4 prices and opted quite consciously for the Mk 1 GS, which I think is a classic, graced by Italian styling, as opposed to the Mk2 GS - a Mercedes lookalike designed in-house. I admit that I was quite tempted by the Mk3 LS but I'm hanging on for a few years until the Mk4 LS drops into my price range. However, if you do want a Mk3 LS I think you'll find that it comes with traction control.

I'm not an LS owner but a GS Mk 1 owner. However, I did look very carefully at the LS before falling for the curves of the GS. In my research I am fairly sure that the Mk3 LS comes with traction control and took a reasonable leap forward over the Mk2 LS. However, the widely held view of contributors to this site is that the Mk 4 LS is the real star of the 1990-2000 LS line-up. I knew that I could not run to Mk 4 prices and opted quite consciously for the Mk 1 GS, which I think is a classic, graced by Italian styling, as opposed to the Mk2 GS - a Mercedes lookalike designed in-house. I admit that I was quite tempted by the Mk3 LS but I'm hanging on for a few years until the Mk4 LS drops into my price range. However, if you do want a Mk3 LS I think you'll find that it comes with traction control.

:angry:

NO!! It DOESN'T! I have a Series 3. NO traction control. But never drive carelessly, but once...you CAN slide it as there's SOOOOmuch power at the wheels. But I bought it to cruise. Series 4 wasn't in my budget range at the time.

It's nicely balanced though, once you get acclimatised to how it feels. (Don't over correct; the power steering is quite direct!)

If you go onto the Lexus website there are links which give information of specs of all Lexus from any mark and series.

If you particularly want something with traction control which is similar an LS400 then try a Honda Legend, yes I know there plain and boring but they are very similar to the LS in a lot of ways and are also front wheel drive so don't have the rear drive issues.

You might have been unlucky. I've seen a number of Mk 3 LS ads in Autotrader around Manchester where traction control has been inclued as a feature. Maybe traction control was available as an option and the one you bought did not have it fitted. Here's a current ad from a garage in Stockport to illustrate my point.

1996 N Reg LEXUS LS 4.0 V8

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 72,000 miles, Metallic Silver. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Climate control, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Electrically adjustable seats, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD Multichanger, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, Leather upholstery. This car is a superb example and is complete with full lexus service history £7,695.

Motorhouse Performance Cars

Dealer's Website Dealer's Location

Tel: 0161 4845440 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links