Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rodders....thanks

Sorry I don't want to know if anyone has this fitted i wouldn't want to point any rogues in anyones dirction.

I beleive i have been mislead by my dealer and may take issue with them as they told me Lexus do not fit or reccomend this unit and have not done so for some time. Strange as it appears in thier options brochures still.

• 1 month later...

My 2001 RX300SE had Tracker fitted to it as an extra. The dealer didn't even mention the RAC product.

I'm happy with Tracker as I've had it in previous cars. Can't say whether it's good or not, as (fortunately!) I've never had cause to use it...

When we bought our Lexus 12 months ago, Lexus were recommending "Tracker", and Lexus Insurance were offering money towards the cost if you had it fitted. There was no incentive to buy RAC Trackstar.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with the RAC product and the Tracker product is that if someone either steals your carkeys and then the car, or if you're carjacked, the monitoring service isn't alerted, because of course they think that the car is being driven as normal.

This happened to a mate of mine whose house was broken into while he slept, his keys stolen, and his brand new BMW M5 stolen from his driveway.

I think the best product on the market at the moment is NavTrak. This involves you carrying a card in, say, your wallet, which interacts with a chip in the car. If someone steals the keys (assuming they don't steal your wallet at the same time!), and drives the car away, as soon as the car gets 30 feet from the card, the monitoring system is alerted. Works as well if you're carjacked - as long as you get out of the car with the card, as soon as the carjacker drives 30 feet away from you, again the monitoring kicks in.

The other issue to be aware of is that some of these products - e.g. the basic Tracker systems - are radio and not GPS based. This means that, unlike their advertising implies, the car is only found if it happens to pass near a police car. It doesn't mean (as I thought) that there was some magic system that lit up a screen at the monitoring centre saying exactly where your car is.

Tracker Horizon (their top level product) is now GPS based, but if you're serious about wanting to retrieve your car if it is stolen, then consider both a security model that covers key theft, and a GPS based system.

:-)

Paul

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links