Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alignment & Camber

lummox

Hey all,

As this is my first post (yey) here's a two-line summary:

I've just bought a 4 year old IS200, only 25k miles.

So I'm now servicing, MOT'ing, fitting two tyres and some brake pads. ($ = ouch)

Anyways, I notice that the old tyres had uneven wear, so I had an alignment check.

(For those who care - the result is that the front nearside is .2mm outside of alignment tolerance and the rear offside is 0.3deg outside camber)

To sort this out I was quoted £138, as "this particular model is a bit awkward, sir".

Is this quote normal, and/or is the IS200 particularly tricky? Is there anywhere in Cambridge I could get it done cheaper?

I'm not particularly bothered that the result should be spot on, within tolerance will do me as my average mileage is 6k a year.

Thanks for your help!

no it is not awkward, its the same as any other car that has adjustment on 4 wheels - i assume this price was from the dealer?

it you are prepared to travel a little bit then the best person to take it to is tony at wheels-inmotion.co.uk

he is a member here member name same as web site.

i am a skinflint so i would say that 138 is expensive for  wheel alignment, if it was at the dealer then that is what i would expect.

well, that's what I thought.

I appreciate that the rear camber could be time consuming, but it's only one wheel.

They were saying that by adjusting the camber they might affect the alignment, and vice versa, hence I had to pay for the lot. Whilst that *might* be true I'm just not quite convinced - if I'd have asked for alignment only, are they saying that I might leave with worse camber than when I arrived?

someone put me straight if I'm wrong, I just don't want to be taken for a mug just because I'm not a mechanic. I'm quite happy to pay for the work if needs be, but the way they dealt with me made me a bit suspicious.

Lummux,

you say you are in Cambridge, as I am.

I am having full geometry (everything inc camber) done at Lexus Cambridge on Friday for £105. That includes all adjustments, at least that's what Caroline Flack (the service manager) told me.

Mark

I am having full geometry (everything inc camber) done at Lexus Cambridge on Friday for £105. That includes all adjustments, at least that's what Caroline Flack (the service manager) told me.

Mark

Interesting :^) I've got the car in for service tommorrow, so I'll have a word with Caroline and maybe get them to do it at the same time....

Thanks for the info!

i am a skinflint so i would say that 138 is expensive for  wheel alignment, if it was at the dealer then that is what i would expect.

well, that's what I thought.

I appreciate that the rear camber could be time consuming, but it's only one wheel.

They were saying that by adjusting the camber they might affect the alignment, and vice versa, hence I had to pay for the lot. Whilst that *might* be true I'm just not quite convinced - if I'd have asked for alignment only, are they saying that I might leave with worse camber than when I arrived?

someone put me straight if I'm wrong, I just don't want to be taken for a mug just because I'm not a mechanic. I'm quite happy to pay for the work if needs be, but the way they dealt with me made me a bit suspicious.

Hi Lummox, welcome to LOC, being a new member somthing you will read time and time again is "geometry", the IS200 is a lady and has no "tolerance" well very little? please "dont!" just have wheel alignment, get a full geometry with a print out and us all in the forum will team together and help.

• 11 months later...

Mark

Interesting :^) I've got the car in for service tommorrow, so I'll have a word with Caroline and maybe get them to do it at the same time....

Thanks for the info!

For a fully geometry check and adjustments £60+vat, hunter system more accurate than laser, uses infra red. We do most main dealers in nottingham, Porsche, Mercedes and TVR etc

call 0115 9599144 ask for Marc or Jamie

Nottingham Alignment services.

And our alignment prices start from £32+vat, call for a quote

And we do tyres as well, call for a price.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links