Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1st To 2nd Help Please

@D.Harvey.. good luck.

@lex2005 unfortunately you are out of warranty, even if you purchased an extended one. You can have a look on Pro-lex Uk website for a replacement.

Hi ive got the same whining gearbox and its driving me mad. I hope there is a cost effective fix! Mines a 1999 model therefore not under warranty.

HI

I HAVE READ ALOT OF THREADS ABOUT GEARBOXES BUT NONE REALLY SEEM TO DESCRIBE MY PROBLEM, WHEN COLD THE GEARBOX SOUNDS REALLY WHINEY ALMOST SCREAMING. THE LOUDNESS OF THE WHINING REDUCES WHEN THE BOX IS WARM BUT STILL PRESENT THROUGH THE GEAR RANGE ! i AM NOW GETTING A DRONE IN 5TH AND 6TH WHEN FOOT IS TAKEN OFF THE ACCELERATOR AT SPEED ON THE MOTORWAY , ITS HARD TO DESCRIBE BUT IT  A DEEP BASS HUMMING SOUND WHICH IS SOMETIMES LOUDER THAN OTHERS , TAKEN IT INTO LEXUS BOLTON LAST WEEK AND THEY JUST SAID IT WAS AS NOISY AS ALL OTHERS AND SUGGESTED CHANGING THE GEAR OOIL AT THE 30000 MILE SERVICE IT HAS ONLY DONE 26000

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS AS I AM SICK OF IT SOUNDING LIKE A 1.1 FIESTA WHEN GOING THROUGH THE GEARS

YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

CHEERS

DOES IT ALSO FEEL LIKE THE GEARBOX IS ROCKING WHEN YOU RELEASE THE ACCELERATOR ?

BUT YES THE WHINNING IS ANNOYING AND I AM SURE IT IS SOMETING TO DO WITH A BEARING !!

I AM ON HOLIDAY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW SO WILL HAVE TO BOOK IT IN WHEN I RETURN

WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON !!

I suffer a bit of clutch judder but think ive adjusted my driving/revs to cancel it out...It sounds like a milk float in 1st and 2nd :driving:

Unsure about the rocking......i havent driven another IS to compare it too! I wouldnt expect this from a cheap motor never mind a lexus. Im just after a magic bullet where i can go in and say sort the xyz bearing.......it would be worth sorting!

Let me know how you get on mate!

DOES IT ALSO FEEL LIKE THE GEARBOX IS ROCKING WHEN YOU RELEASE THE ACCELERATOR ?

BUT YES THE WHINNING IS ANNOYING AND I AM SURE IT IS SOMETING TO DO WITH A BEARING !!

I AM ON HOLIDAY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW SO WILL HAVE TO BOOK IT IN WHEN I RETURN

WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON !!

Hello all!

I just traded my A4 for an IS200 after wanting one for many years, I must say I am really chuffed with all the toys and the performance, but had been concerned about the 1st to 2nd shift and also the noise in these gears which I can only liken to an Austin Mini...

I am relieved to know I am not the only one, is this a ‘feature’ (like the flaky alloy’s) or should I be concerned?

Good job the stereo is so good I guess I will just turn it up a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this thread, down here in the Colonials we find the same thing with our IS200's - clunnky 1st-2nd change, some have clunky 3rd gear change. Slipping clutch/clutch shudder when cold.

The clutches tend to rattle as they wear out; find a quite spot, let your car idle, and move the clutch in and out and you will hear if you have a rattle (the sound will stop with the clutch in).

I have found that by babying the 1st to 2nd/2nd to 3rd change, you can makes things smoother. Change 1st to 2nd in two motions rather than one. And make sure you have the clutch ALL the way in before you slip the gear (i have a tendency to slip the gear before the clutch is all the way in when i am hurrying changes, and this usually results in me bumping the gate going into 3rd).

Worn clutch is a major symptom. Mine has had it's day, i will be changing to an Exedy sport clutch and either a TRD or JUN flywheel (ditching the lowsy dual mass item). The shortshifter does wonders as well, but by all accounts the silver bullet is definitely MORE POWER, via TTE supercharger for example. Essentially, in standard IS200 guise, the gearbox does not have enough torque running through it - too much play(?). Altezza RS200 and IS200TTE owners seem to have little/no problems with the gearbox in this regard.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links