Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-restricting an Altezza RS200 Z

Charles Binns

as I posted earlier today, my RS had been played with a bit in Japan. Check the details on my signature and so has Kavey,s.

I have never driven the "normal" 210BHP RS so can,t say, but it will surely go past 145MPH. The pic is blurred but I really had to raise the car after four months cos it was so low I found it difficult to park in public garages etc. So on you aerodynamics resistance, there,s your answer. Look at the pics. The car is fully kitted out.

But believe me son, I have done it. I probably have to hit the Autobahn from Koblenz to Frankfurt and set a camera in the dash to prove it.

Would you believe it would hit 120MPH in fourth. When the dealer told me they did it on the M20 on the way from the SVA, I didn,t believe it till I tried it out meself. The car is a revver.

Tyre Rs would roar past you at the lights but man on the Mway it,s not that straight forward for them.

This is fun! :lol:

Teddy: Nah - at the moment, all my car had done is new back box. If anything, it's heavy due to the extra amp and sub in the boot :lol: - Like I said, I believe the limiting factor in the speed of the RS200 is mechanical given the power of the car at it's redline, and I'd imagine it could go to a probable max speed (given yamaha3sge's partially correct logic relating to aerodynamics) of around 175 with the right gearing before resistance factors started to come into too much play. Like I said, with how much power the engine had left to give at 140mph, I've no doubt I could reach 150+ and probably reach the redline in it to the 157, with enough road!

yamaha3sge: Whilst I agree on some of what you say regarding aerodynamics, your logic is quite fundamentally flawed. You seem to miss the point regarding the mechanical issues involved - bhp is NOT directly related to top speed, but you seem adamant to maintain some kind of delusion here. I'm not saying th RS200 is some madskillz supercar, but you're not looking at things quite correctly.

See you talk about 210bhp not being able to reach 157mph. I'm not trying to flame, you, but I'm chuckling as I read your post mate - I can't believe you're missing so many elementary mistakes in your reasoning:

I've driven in a Caterham 7 around Silverstone, with a 1.8L engine pumping out barely more than 140bhp, in a go-kart style body which is not very aerodynamic. According to your logic, it shouldn't be able to go much faster than say 120mph, even this magical 150mph limit you seem to assume. I've hammered it around a track at 180mph. Where is your logic now?

HORSEPOWER DOES NOT DICTATE SPEED. Top speed does of course have an issue with drag, rolling resistance etc, and raw HP does have a bearing on it but you seem to totally ignore the simple issue of gearing, car weight, and importantly with the cars you mention, driveability!

As regards to the Civic vs NSX, you again seem to miss the point. I'm sure if Honda deemed it worthwhile, they could slap in a gearbox that could take both of those cars beyond this 'magical' 150mph speed you seem to think is so hard to break, but then these are ROAD cars, designed to be driven in traffic as well as motorways. You sacrifice acceleration for top speed, and the NSX prides itself on getting up to 160mph a hell of a lot faster than the Civic. THAT's where the power is going. I'm sure if you modified the final drive and some of the ratios on the NSX, you could see it hit 200mph+ with ease, but it'd take longer to get there. Have you increased the BHP? Not at all!

If you took plain RS200 engine at 210bhp and slapped it into a Lotus Elise, with the right gearing, you don't thing that could make 200mph plus? It just so happens that the RS200 is mechanically limited to 157mph at redline.... By the way, you do realise that most power cars, are ARTIFICIALLY limited to 155-160mph, especially newer cars like the Merc SL55 - partly due to the lack of need to go faster, partly due to maintain acceleration and a smoother drive at slower speed, and partly due to safety - you'd get so much lift, the car could flip without spoilers....

I think you need to think about your point a little more dude! :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links