Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shuddering....

Hi guys,

When I brake at 50 mph +, the brakes on my IS200 shudder like mad. I'm thinking that its one of the following:

1. Warped discs (Unlikley, as these were replaced at 49k, the car has now done 68k)

2. Worn ball joints (Likely, I get a knocking sound when I turn)

3. Full geometry set up needed

Get my 70k service done soon, so I'll change the ball joints then and I'm also gonna get a full geometry setup done coz I've got uneven tyre wear and the steer wheel feels loose/all over the place when driving.

Is there anything else I should do other than replace the ball joints and get a full geometry set up done? BTW- gonna go to Drury for the geo setup coz of the reviews that I have read on this website and its closer to me, I'm based in W Yorks

Any advice is much appricated (think that's how you spell it)

Also want to say what a great website that you guys have here, I have found it really helpful

mate,

how did u un-stick your caliper?

The only time I have had shuddering on any car was stuck caliper, that shuddered like crazy on the IS.

mate,

how did u un-stick your caliper?

The only time I have had shuddering on any car was stuck caliper, that shuddered like crazy on the IS.

Whip your wheel off and take your pads out then take the cap off the brake fluid resevoir and see if you can push the pistons back easily. I had a sticking piston that caused all kinds of strange noises and problems. After i found it i stripped the caliper and haven't had a problem since. I found that i can push my pistons back with my fingers now that i have stripped and cleaned the sticking one, i also did a brake fluid change at the same time as it can get awfully dirty in there and it will make a difference.

I don't think you can get seal kits anymore though so unless someone knows a place you can get them i would be very delicate around the seal area and have a good look at the condition

Take the caliper off, pump the brakes till the pistons fully out, then use a g-clamp and press them back in, use some WD-40 and repeat till your happy. Make sure the brake fluid cap is off.

Also.... If the brakes were not bedded in properly they will warp. Its not a question of how little miles you have done, it depends how they were used during run in time.

When the brakes are cold run your finger over the face of the disk.. if it is lumpy or slightly uneven its more than likely warped..

mr singh

i think you are right, just had a look the front discs, i can see deep lines on them and when you run your finger you can feel the lines- looks like its new discs for me, also how long would you give for new discs and pads to bed in?

BTW- wheel nuts are tight, i know that the ball joints are on their way coz i was told this at my last service (60k).

Also, just rang lexus leeds up for some parts, this is what they had to say:

front discs- £158.60 a set

front pads- £49.49

ball joints- £54.59 each

oil filter (for 70k service)- £7.69

oil- £12.00

all prices excluded VAT and they would give a 10% discount on the total

can i get any of these parts cheaper elsewhere?

Take the caliper off, pump the brakes till the pistons fully out, then use a g-clamp and press them back in, use some WD-40 and repeat till your happy. Make sure the brake fluid cap is off.

Also.... If the brakes were not bedded in properly they will warp. Its not a question of how little miles you have done, it depends how they were used during run in time.

When the brakes are cold run your finger over the face of the disk.. if it is lumpy or slightly uneven its more than likely warped..

mr singh

i think you are right, just had a look the front discs, i can see deep lines on them and when you run your finger you can feel the lines- looks like its new discs for me, also how long would you give for new discs and pads to bed in?

BTW- wheel nuts are tight, i know that the ball joints are on their way coz i was told this at my last service (60k).

front pads- £49.49

ball joints- £54.59 each

oil- £12.00

Try prolex for your parts, i think that they have most of what you want in stock. :D

mr singh

front pads- £49.49

ball joints- £54.59 each

oil- £12.00

As i suspected would be the case.

Like Gord says Prolex for Disc's and Pads... They can also fit too, and probably even do your ball joints!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links