Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Part Exchange / Daylight Robbery!

Well due to constantly rising prices of petrol... time has come to wave goodbye to the Lexus and move onto something with the word 'Diesel' in it's title... :yack:

So i've been to a few places and even tried a few places on the net.. and the outcome has been... my car isn't worth anything close to what i would have liked.

I've got a 2000 X IS200 Sport in Blue, immaculate inside and out with 60k miles... and the average part ex i've been offered...... £7000......

Surely it must be worth more than that...?? :crying:

Brutus

Going part Ex. you will always get less. They have to sell it on to make a profit.

Sell privately. Plus you then have more bargaining power when you buy your new car to haggle for a reduced price.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with what I was offered for pt/ex recently. Is200 Sport 2001 Y plate, black, FLSH and 89k on the clock. Autotrader, adjusting for the mileage, suggested about £7k. Managed to get BMW Glasgow up to £8.5k.

Then again, I may not have been getting a great deal on the car I was looking to buy. Give with one hand, take with the other I guess...

Autocar quote the IS200 having a residual value of 52% after 3 years, so that would be about £10-£11k ish. Not sure on prices for 5 years old

I assume thats more of a trade in/private sale value rather than retail as main dealers still sell them for big money

And you know once you've sold to a dealer for 8.5k they will put it on the forecourt for anything between 10/11k

They are obviously there to make money but, it does seem that Lexus dealers are particularly greedy in this area, I'm quite friendly with a few of the guys down at the local Vauxhall dealer and they are quite happy so see a grand out of a used car, seems Lex dealers want at least double that

I got a p/ex price against the same car one year younger, and 15k miles less.

They wanted 5k more than they'd give for me. Nice profit for them. Bad loss for me - and they think I'll buy another. No. Not even the diesel.

Next car = S4 , sorry LEX, IS looks great but - its to much fuel, to slow for the amount of fuel, and horendous deprecition.

A mate got an X3 (loser) on contract hire for less than I have lost on my car.

May be this is the way - get a great deal on a car that no one would want to buy.

His X3 is starting to look good, and as he's an accountant he is constantly pointing out how my lex costs.

I agree with that... i'm looking to replace the IS with a.... Golf would you believe it... but when you consider that i can get a top of the range Diesel Golf with over a £1000's worth of extra's... with 3 years warranty AND a comprehensive service pack AND all wear and tear parts covered (Mmm tyres replaced for free..... :D ) ... for less than i'm paying for the Lexus each month... that coupled with the fact i'll save at least £100 a month on fuel... and i'm affraid the IS doesn't stand a chance.

Is such a shame cause i love the car, but real life sometimes gets in the car doesn't it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links