Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Turbo Reconditioning/rebuilding.

skeet94

I know the Turbo's are meant to be rebuilt after a certain mileage.

Considering this car is reaching 107k miles, I thought it would be a safe bet to have the Turbo's reconditioned.

I know it's not a easy task getting to, and removing the Turbo's, but I've got an uncle who's willing to do the work.

So are there any places that would recondition the turbo's that anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance.

Mitul.

I know the Turbo's are meant to be rebuilt after a certain mileage.

Considering this car is reaching 107k miles, I thought it would be a safe bet to have the Turbo's reconditioned.

I know it's not a easy task getting to, and removing the Turbo's, but I've got an uncle who's willing to do the work.

So are there any places that would recondition the turbo's that anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance.

Mitul.

there are places but it is expensive norkep has just had some turbo trouble on his jz147 aristo so he would be your best bet for a reply but from our conversations i think you are looking at about £1200+ for a recondition to your turbo and that is after removing them and sending them awaymight be worth looking for a big single :winky:

Personally Mitul, if they are not giving you any hint of trouble, I'd wait. As Austin has stated, they are not a cheap piece of equipement to have done, just make sure that everything from the air pipes to the oil feeds for the turbo's are all in place and have no bolts missing. I missed one on mine and now I'm currently waiting for some recons from Hong Kong to arrive.

There are serveral places that will do these, you'd need to find one that will strip them off the motor, recon and refit, most only recon. You are looking at about 2 Days for a strip down and refit and that's just the labour of a good garage that has done them before and then theres the cost of the complete gasket kit that will be needed for refitting them. I've just ordered the kit from Chris, 21 in total in the kit.

BR

Paul

Run the turbos till they pop. They're good for 200,000KM typically.

Then see about HKS aftermarket turbos, not that expensive (2-3K for turbo only).

Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I will just run them until they pop, as Yoshi stated.

I was looking into HKS as a matter of fact, but I want to go Twin instead of a BIG single also looking at a 3.4 Liter Stroker Kit before I go with the Turbo's but that's still to come after a while.

Anyways thanks for the information people.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone researched into an Uprated Autobox for the Aristo? Asking as I'd rather get the weakest link in the chain sorted out before I sort out the exhaust, downpipe, and run on higher boost (18psi) and do a True Twin Conversion on the car.

Assuming you mean the TTC where you simply swap around a number of the sequential pipes to makes the turbos spool up together, it's not that great. Try it, sure, as it only takes a few minutes to do, but the general concensus is that it's not worth it. I have the electronic version on my Supra, and I've only used it three times, if that - much prefer sequential.

before I sort out the exhaust, downpipe, and run on higher boost (18psi) and do a True Twin Conversion on the car.

Chips: I heard the same thing, but then I've also been told that if I want to go above 400wrhp without the gears slipping (AE14 a/t) I'd have to get a built box. Is there any way someone from TDi can confirm this?

Aristopheles: Isn't there a "problem" with using a sequential turbo setup on the Aristo with higher than stock boost that would end up killing your 2nd Turbo?

Not really, though obviously, running higher boost will reduce the lifespan of your turbos. The only thing I can think of is that it's said running TTC means the 2nd turbo has an easier time, as it doesn't go from being pre-spooled to suddenly on full boost. However, many people have experienced more problems running TTC, including ome nasty boost spikes and a loss of most of the low-end torque that the 1st turbo provides.

Like I said, the mod is easy to do, so try it and see what you think.

Aristopheles: Isn't there a "problem" with using a sequential turbo setup on the Aristo with higher than stock boost that would end up killing your 2nd Turbo?

Chips: I heard the same thing, but then I've also been told that if I want to go above 400wrhp without the gears slipping (AE14 a/t) I'd have to get a built box. Is there any way someone from TDi can confirm this?

Give them a call and hear it from the horses mouth thats what i did if :unsure:

Have you checked there website out?

Theres loads of mods on there for all jap cars :D

On the Aristo page of there site,if the Autobox needed to be uprated i think they would mention it,even just to cover there selfs.

http://www.tdi-plc.com/aristo.html

Only had a quick look,cant see anything about needing to uprated the Autobox.

Cheers chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links