Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Please Educate Me... What Type Of Suspention?

BlueAdept

OK, I have this terrible feeling that I'm about to get flamed... but I'd really appreciate some constructive comments here.

I'm building a little hotrod for a project, and I am looking for a reasonably small RWD car with a sensible amount of power to lift the rear suspention and differential from.... There seem to be a decent array of IS200/300 cars around in post crash condition that might suit, but what I don't know is what type of rear suspention they use... can someone tell me what it is, IE, trailing arm, multilink, double wishbone etc... or do I have to confuse somone at a Lexus dealer.

Also, does anyone have any opinion on the diff and rear transmission... is it different between different models... is it going to be up to 300+Bhp?? the target vehicle will weigh less than 1000Kg.

Generally any comments or suggestions appreciated... and photographs of the setup would be stunning!

Wow, that was quick... and a better answer than I had hoped for... I still have to narrow it by about 3 inches each side, which could prove to be a challenge... or flare the arches more than I had planned... :thinks:

OK, one other question... I am guessing that the manual diff will be the better to go for from a final drive ratio point of view... is there a difference between the strength and/or LSD on the different models? Should I look for a sportcross or somthing?

if you can get the whole rear subframe complete that will be a big bonus to you as it supports the multiling/ diff and drive shafts....

it will definatly be upto holding 300hp

Wow, that was quick... and a better answer than I had hoped for... I still have to narrow it by about 3 inches each side, which could prove to be a challenge... or flare the arches more than I had planned...  :thinks:

OK, one other question... I am guessing that the manual diff will be the better to go for from a final drive ratio point of view... is there a difference between the strength and/or LSD on the different models?  Should I look for a sportcross or somthing?

if you can get the whole rear subframe complete that will be a big bonus to you as it supports the multiling/ diff and drive shafts....

You can get the is200 sport differential/subframe for an easy start, this comes equiped with a Torsen © Differential unit, however there are quite a few aftermarket differential units that can be got for around 500 quid which are far far better, like TRD or Cusco or as i have KAAZ which can be either 1.5 or 2 way lock up units.

you should be able to narrow the rear subframe, however the problem will be the drive(half shafts) will also need shortening.

there are also lower, and higher final drive gear ratios available by chopping and changing from Manual to Auto final drive ratios

OK that's good, so as long as I keep the differential mounting points, I should be able to change things around later once the thing is up and running... I have a Torsen diff on the Mazda... :)

I believe I should be able to shorten (or at least have shortened) the half shafts...

If you don't mind me asking, what mods have you got to handle 600Bhp?? That's gotta be quite a machine!... I will be at JAE with my RX, so perhaps we can have a chat.

Wow, that was quick... and a better answer than I had hoped for... I still have to narrow it by about 3 inches each side, which could prove to be a challenge... or flare the arches more than I had planned...  :thinks:

OK, one other question... I am guessing that the manual diff will be the better to go for from a final drive ratio point of view... is there a difference between the strength and/or LSD on the different models?  Should I look for a sportcross or somthing?

You can get the is200 sport differential/subframe for an easy start, this comes equiped with a Torsen © Differential unit, however there are quite a few aftermarket differential units that can be got for around 500 quid which are far far better, like TRD or Cusco or as i have KAAZ which can be either 1.5 or 2 way lock up units.

you should be able to narrow the rear subframe, however the problem will be the drive(half shafts) will also need shortening.

there are also lower, and higher final drive gear ratios available by chopping and changing from Manual to Auto final drive ratios

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links