Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement of Sunroof rubber seal

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm currently dealing with a situation regarding my Lexus RX450H (2018 reg)'s sunroof rubber seal, and I'm reaching out to the community for some advice and recommendations.

Recently, I noticed that the rubber seal around my car's sunroof has seen better days and is in need of replacement. The dealer quoted me a rather hefty amount for the replacement, and let's just say it's a bit more than I was expecting. It feels like they're asking for an arm and a leg!

So, I wanted to turn to this knowledgeable community to seek some guidance. Has anyone here replaced their car's sunroof rubber seal before, and if so, where did you get it done? I'm particularly interested in knowing if there are reliable and more cost-effective alternatives than going through the dealership.

Additionally, for those DIY enthusiasts out there, has anyone attempted to replace the sunroof rubber seal on their own? If so, could you share where you purchased the replacement rubber seal and any tips or recommendations for a successful DIY job?

I appreciate any insights, recommendations, or personal experiences you can share. Your collective wisdom has always been a great resource, and I'm hopeful that someone here has navigated a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG-896ecce7e79b4eec14403070eda8db2c-V.jpg

IMG-bf136eaf24bf0c5b1fce403e4ad06700-V.jpg

I have had the same issue on a 2017 car. You have to replace the complete roof. It was allegedly a production issue 🤔

I had mine returned fixed yesterday. 

As long as you have RELAX they should replace to foc 

Hello all, I am particularly interested in your solution Paul as I have exactly the same problem. I went to my local dealership just before Christmas and was told that they would contact customer services but have heard nothing back which I assumed to be because Lexus were not interested. To give a bit more detail around 18 months ago I noticed that the rubber was coming off my sunroof (the bit that opens ) the dealership said that it was not covered under warranty as it was considered to be 'trim' so I forked out around £650 for it to be replaced. Just before Christmas I noticed that the rubber was coming off the fixed bit of the pan roof (see photos). I was then told that the entire piece of glass needed to be replaced and the cost was a horrendous £4000 just for the part! It comes with a load of other bits for the sunblind etc which I don't need. If it should be covered under the relax warranty then somebody is trying it on at my expence which I do not like very much.

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2017 RX450, and have this same issue (see picture).  My local dealer says the seal cannot be replaced on its own and it requires a complete new sunroof, at a cost of £6000 including labour.   The car is covered by Relax, but they deem that perished rubber is not covered.  If anyone out there has managed to get theirs replaced under Relax, please can you let us all know the dealer involved, so that we can use this info to try to persuade our own local dealer(s) 

IMG_20240211_152735.jpg

Maybe get a solicitor to bring a Class Action ( or threaten to ) against Lexus UK ? 

……. to remedy the defective production problem manifested in the UK …… 

Just a thought ……. RAC / AA free legal advice people maybe ! 
Malc 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

After a couple of visits to my dealer Lexus have agreed to replace the fixed part of the pan roof, It has been booked in for the end of the month (March)as the part is not available at present. Which I guess could be an indication of the number of them having to be replaced or more likley the ship bringing them from Japan is having to go round Africa rather than through the Suez canal!

Either way I am very pleased with the result. I should add that it is being done as goodwill on the part of Lexus and not under Relax.

Bri

Hi Paul,

Looking back on at the threads on the subject that I know of it does not not appear so. I think it seems to be just how well the dealer makes you're case, low mileage, full Lexus service history even how many Lexus vehicles you have had before were all mentioned when I was at the dealership. I would say if you are having the same problems with a 21 reg vehicle then I would have hoped should be no problem IMHO.

Bri

16 hours ago, Brian26 said:

Hi Paul,

Looking back on at the threads on the subject that I know of it does not not appear so. I think it seems to be just how well the dealer makes you're case, low mileage, full Lexus service history even how many Lexus vehicles you have had before were all mentioned when I was at the dealership. I would say if you are having the same problems with a 21 reg vehicle then I would have hoped should be no problem IMHO.

Bri

Thanks Bri ,,,no trouble at all with mine ,but wondered if my year was affected 👍

• 4 weeks later...

HI all, Just a quick update. Got the car back yesterday after having the pan roof replaced (the non opening bit) and very satisfied with the car and a good job done by Lexus Hull as usual. (I have no affiliatiation with Lexus Hull apart from being a satisfied customer).

Bri

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links