Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Upgrade

ivanfromtheuk

hi all,

i need some advice....

i have an aristo, `94 on an M plate. i am thinking about upgrading the front brakes and need some options. i have attached a pic of my OS brake disk,i think the marbling of the disc is due to warping but im not sure... i have heard that the supra TT brake discs and calipers will fit straight onto my car...?

i have standard rims, will there be enough clearance between the disc and the rim?

what would be the difference in performance?

any idea of price?

as an aside to this, in the disc picture there are 2 holes visible between the studs, is this how the disc is removed? i take it there are screws behind...?

any help you guys can give me would be great....

by the way, i have a brand new clock assembly (without the fuel and temp guage. there are no pointers with it....) in MPH. any interest?

thanks for reading

what performance problems do you have with the stock brakes?

i have one of the pots OS that keeps siezing, every now and again i have to free it up and that has an impact on the braking performance. it is kind of difficult to explain but when i apply the brake i have to jink to the left justa little to compensate for the loss of performance in the OS. hopefully that will make some sense....lol. i know i have to replace the OS caliper at some point soon because i cant keep on freeing the siezed pot. a new aristo caliper is about £150-70. i also think i have some warping of the OS disc, there is quite a lot of marbling and scoring on the surface of the disc. i just thought it would be a good opportunity to move away from an import aspect to a braking system that is cheaper to maintain in the long run. i do intend to keep the car for as long as possible, it is one of if not the best car i have ever owned and i have had a few.....

Colin's right, only certain wheels will fit over the Supra TT brakes due to their size - and they're not cheap either. They are, however, very, very good, despite being as old as they are. Bear in mind it's the UK TT brakes you'd need - the J-spec brakes are very poor.

Colin's right, only certain wheels will fit over the Supra TT brakes due to their size - and they're not cheap either. They are, however, very, very good, despite being as old as they are. Bear in mind it's the UK TT brakes you'd need - the J-spec brakes are very poor.

The brakes on this model are they the same as the supra uk spec supra brakes or are they the same as the j-spec ones?

The standard Aristo brakes are - to the best of my knowledge - identical to those of the J-sepc Supra. They can't be the uprated brakes that were standard on UK Supra as the car would need facelift J-spec Supra or UK Supra style 17" wheels, which are among the few 17" wheels that can clear the caliper assembly. All Mk1 Aristos came with 16" wheels as standard.

Edited to add - Of course, you know the Supra facts already, brain, as I recognised your name from the MkIV Supra forum :D

The standard Aristo brakes are - to the best of my knowledge - identical to those of the J-sepc Supra. They can't be the uprated brakes that were standard on UK Supra as the car would need facelift J-spec Supra or UK Supra style 17" wheels, which are among the few 17" wheels that can clear the caliper assembly. All Mk1 Aristos came with 16" wheels as standard.

Edited to add - Of course, you know the Supra facts already, brain, as I recognised your name from the MkIV Supra forum :D

so if i go 17" wheels i can upgrade to uk supra brakes?

Yes, but not all 17s will fit - not even all 18s will fit. My Supra had Blitz Racing Wheel 03s in 18" and the spoke clearance over the caliper was very small. If you don't mind the styling, then a set of UK Supra wheels will clear the brakes, as will facelift J-spec Supra wheels. A more attractive option is to fit 18" Lexus Sport alloys from the GS300 Sport. These are light, and, to the best of my knowledge, will clear UK brakes. They cost around £1200 from Lexus - if you do go for them, make sure you specify the 10" wide rears which were an option.

Very few manufacturers make wheels that will fit over the UK brakes. Best thing to do is if you have a certain type of wheel in mind ask on the mkiv supra forum if anyone has them wheels and uk brakes. Like the guy above says the lexus sport wheels do fit (a lot of supra's are putting these on as they look the dogs danglies) Azev also specifically make alloys for the supra with the correct offset etc. I'm guessing the offsets are the same on the aristo as its the same drivetrain. The ones on my motor the split rims ls version look very good. They cost £350 for the 10" and £275 for the 9" on 18"s.

The UK brake fit is coming in at around £550 for the fronts and £600 for the rear. Thats all in. which for 4 pots front and 2 pot rears is exceptional. Replace the UK spec discs with brembo drilled and grooved discs and you have yourself some phenomenal braking ability. 9-10 year old supras with j-spec brakes are developing seized calipers especially the rears as a common place fault. Also J-spec front discs have a tendency to warp more than their UK counterparts. I have no reason to beleive that the aristo will be any different.

Very few manufacturers make wheels that will fit over the UK brakes. Best thing to do is if you have a certain type of wheel in mind ask on the mkiv supra forum if anyone has them wheels and uk brakes. Like the guy above says the lexus sport wheels do fit (a lot of supra's are putting these on as they look the dogs danglies) Azev also specifically make alloys for the supra with the correct offset etc. I'm guessing the offsets are the same on the aristo as its the same drivetrain. The ones on my motor the split rims ls version look very good. They cost £350 for the 10" and £275 for the 9" on 18"s.

The UK brake fit is coming in at around £550 for the fronts and £600 for the rear. Thats all in. which for 4 pots front and 2 pot rears is exceptional. Replace the UK spec discs with Brembo drilled and grooved discs and you have yourself some phenomenal braking ability. 9-10 year old supras with j-spec brakes are developing seized calipers especially the rears as a common place fault. Also J-spec front discs have a tendency to warp more than their UK counterparts. I have no reason to beleive that the aristo will be any different.

thank you all for your input, if you dont mind, i may IM you guys for some further help later?

cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links