Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Key ... Help!

Hi guys,

My car was shipped with only one key. I figured I could have it copied (like I have for previous cars I owned) but the design of the Altezza key has shops here stumped. I need a spare key but everyone is referring me back to Toyota. Is there anyone here who can help me or point me in the right direction? If I lose my only key, I'm doomed :crybaby:

Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same story here. I only got one key (the blipper one) and wanted a couple of spares. Only Toyota can make them. Fortunately I'd bought the car from a Toyota dealer anyway, so they just sorted out the keys for me free of charge (and unasked for - they turned up in the post while I was still pondering what to do!), but if you need to buy them they're pricey. The problem you may have is that Toyota need the key number, which means disassembling the door and reading it off the lock, unless you're lucky enough to have it already. With a new car it comes stamped into on a metal tag.

Hi,

Thanks for the input so far, I have 3 questions though:

1. Where is this metal tag located?

2. My car is a 2001 model, did these come with the metal tag you spoke about?

3. Wouldn't the VIN/chassis # suffice for Toyota?

Though it's pricey, I don't mind paying £130 for the peace of mind knowing I have a spare key lying around. :winky:

Thanks in advance.

The tag (translating from Japanese) is a "key number plate", and is a small rectangle with a hole in the end that comes with your keys. Basically there are no numbers on the keys for obvious reasons, so they give you this plate. Take it to a Toyota dealer and they can make you a key. Without the tag they need to read the number off the door lock.

Also, there are (according to handbook for my car), four kinds of key:

Master key with wireless door lock transmitter.

Master key.

Sub key (with immobiliser chip).

Sub key (without immobiliser chip).

You can start the car with any of the first three, if I'm reading this right. Got to get myself an English manual!

... Without the tag they need to read the number off the door lock.

Hmmm ... I guess I'll have to get the # off the door lock. The car was imported (used) from Japan and came with no such tag and only one key. :crybaby:

Thanks for your help tho B)

Yes, you can get the number of the lock apparently but you have to dissassembly johny number five to get it....

My car came with three keys. Two standard and one as a vallet key which will start the car but will not open the boot or glove box (if either are locked). This vallet key is usualy grey instead of black.

Yes, you can get the number of the lock apparently but you have to dissassembly johny number five to get it....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is johny number five? :unsure:

:lol:

http://www.johnny-five.com/

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/

All I remember from the movie (well mostly) is the robot shouting "no dissassemble Johny Number 5" whilst being chased by the baddies who wanted to capture and diss-assemble him!...... kind of stuck as a phrase... :)

...Got to get myself an English manual!

Hey Chiba,

I ordered my English handbook from this site. I believed they translated it from the Japanese handbook. The only key I have is the key with the wireless door lock transmitter.

I've never heard of Johnny-Five until now, hmmmm, seems I missed out on some fun, Mr. Jiberjaber!!! :lol:

Regards B)

My car came with three keys.  Two standard and one as a vallet key which will start the car but will not open the boot or glove box (if either are locked).  This vallet key is usualy grey instead of black.

Sorry :offtopic: but i do like your key ring :D ...is that what the dealers are giving now??

My car came with three keys.  Two standard and one as a vallet key which will start the car but will not open the boot or glove box (if either are locked).  This vallet key is usualy grey instead of black.

Sorry :offtopic: but i do like your key ring :D ...is that what the dealers are giving now??

It's what the dealers were giving out, they have stopped now (oer maybe only reserve them for new car buying customers). Apparently they were costing them too much. When I picked mine up yesterday I asked about key rings, and was told that they only give out the black leathers fob ones now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links