Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Update On Ls400 In Dire Need Of Help

Well the car is still not fixed but a few interesting developements.

Firsty it appears the bank I am having problems with the exhaust camshaft is one tooth out and most of the shims have been set to 8" which is 2" out of spec.

However what is puzzling is that all the cam retaining bushes have the arrows pointing to the rear of the engine???? is this correct, anyone out there that knows the answer i would be grateful

The surging has stopped, ok the car is ticking over at 1200rpm at the moment but that should be fixed soon. Tapping noise still there however and nothing could be seen with the cams off, strange one.

Hi,

I cant help with your questions,but i was wondering how did the exhaust camshaft get to be 1 tooth out,the mistake must have been done last time it was worked on :unsure:

Good luck getting it sorted out,maybe someone else might have some answers or may be ask on the US forum.

Cheers chips.

Well the car is still not fixed but a few interesting developements.

Firsty it appears the bank I am having problems with the exhaust camshaft is one tooth out and most of the shims have been set to 8" which is 2" out of spec.

However what is puzzling is that all the cam retaining bushes have the arrows pointing to the rear of the engine???? is this correct, anyone out there that knows the answer i would be grateful

The surging has stopped, ok the car is ticking over at 1200rpm at the moment but that should be fixed soon. Tapping noise still there however and nothing could be seen with the cams off, strange one.

According to the w/shop manual, camshaft caps are correct with arrows pointing rearwards.... :)

Thanks for the info, how the exhaust cams became one tooth out i do not know as the garage who did the shimming assured me they didnt even unloosen the cams..think they were in pinochio mode lol, at least i now do not have to take them out to get them in the right way, but i will take the opil feeder pipes off just in case they have assembled it with the bolts in the wrong positions.

Does the early ls400s have a balance shaft if so where is it, cant seem to find one but i do rem someone saying they do have them.

further info re camshaft caps

Rh cyl head install the bearing capmark I1 in position with the arrow facing rearward

LH cyl.head install the bearing cap mark I6 in position with arrow facing FORWARD

intake camshaft RH cyl head install front bearing cap mark I6 arrow facing REARWARD,then 15/14/13/12 all facing rearward.silver bolts to the front bearing cap

rest black.

install the exhaust c/shaft of RH c/head

install the rear bearing cap with arrow facing rearward.[E1] install the rest in order

E2/E3/E4

check bolt lengths.

intake c/shaft LH head--install front cap mark I1 arrow facing Forward

install rest in order I2/I3/I4/I5 arrow facing forward.

align arrow marks at front and rear of the cyl.head with the mark on the bearing cap.

all timing marks on camshafts to BE aligned during assembly

Exh. camshaft LH cyl head install front cap with arrow facing forward

Don't know if this is helpful or confusing, the sequence of assembly is made more complex because of the four camshaft design :duh:

four pages and 23 pics.in manual

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links