Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sc430 Tailgate Not Staying Open

McLean

The tailgate on my '02 SC430 won't stay up in the open position while I'm accessing the boot. Banged me on the head a couple of times into the bargain!

Is there an adjustment I can do, or do you reckon it's replacement struts time?

Anyone else had this on an SC?

My 02 plate is beginning to go that way as well, if fully opened it just about stays but does not fill you with confidence, I always hold it open to be safe. I also noticed quite a bit of resistance on opening, a frail person would struggle. I am still under dealer warranty (9 months to go) so was going to monitor it and report it on next visit if it worsens. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Out of cover I'm afraid :sad:

Anyone used this service? http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/

I've asked for costs so we can compare with dealer prices.

I doubt very much any ones tried aftermarket struts. But I dont see why you wanna chance it... you've got a £53,000 car !! Its not a 1984 Ford Fiesta :D

This thread suggest aftermarket struts mat not be a good idea.. check post 14.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205082

• 10 months later...

SGS could not re-gas mine. Some oil had leaked and they would not hold new gass anymore. They sent me new one for £ 88. SGS is a good, friendly and reliable company. The struts are easy to take out and even esear to put them back. The hardest part was to find someone holding the boot open. To undone the lower part of the strut you will need to open the roof and stop in the middle of the opeing to access the lower pin.

But I understand that if you are the proud owner of a lexus you may be willing to spend the double for the original parts which are known to be crappy.

Guest inicol63

Funny thing is i am having a 60,000 service done this coming Friday.

I have asked that they change my struts at the same time.

Yes you can get them regased look at old threads on this site.

They are around the £40 a pair to regas and around a £100 the pair to buy new.

Funny thing is i am having a 60,000 service done this coming Friday.

I have asked that they change my struts at the same time.

Yes you can get them regased look at old threads on this site.

They are around the £40 a pair to regas and around a £100 the pair to buy new.

I had my stutrs regassed by SGS and it works perfectly. Time will show how long...

Cost me just 40£ compared to 160£ I would have paid for new OEM struts from Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links