Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supaguard

Got my carlack and wax yesterday as advised by jamboo(thanks for those intructions by the way), im going to polish and wax next weekend,. i was just wondering how often do you think you should apply the carlack and wax?

Have a read of the Autopia gude in the "Car Care" section.......tells you everything you need and more besides :D

I paid to have my (used) Lexus supaguarded inside and out when I bought it 28 months and 26,000 miles ago. Since then I have occasionally added non-abrasive wax to bring up the shine, but have need to do little more than vacuum the inside.

Was it worth it? I think so. The outside finish seems quite resistant to minor chips (next to nothing on the bonnet) and looks really shiny from a distance even when not all that clean. But I could not say for sure that the supaguard has made the difference to the outside. What I can say is that a few months ago I was looking under the passenger seat for a key that had slid down between the seat and the centre console, and failed to notice that I had cut my hand until I saw blood stains everywhere. A few dabs with a clean cloth and there was nothing to be seen. So does it work on the inside? It must have done. I can't think why else the stains would have come off so easily.

Got my carlack and wax yesterday as advised by jamboo(thanks for those intructions by the way), im going to polish and wax next weekend,. i was just wondering how often do you think you should apply the carlack and wax?

Hiya Dan - good bed time reading...ZZZzzzzz ;)

It's not that clear on the Carlack68 instructions which I sent to you. I think the little circular set of instructions in the tub of P21S talks about water beads and water sheeting (!) and help more, but it's basic stuff on that sheet.

I have taken 2 things from the research I did before I shelled out:

1) Carlack68 is a cleaner, polish and sealant. The chemical cleaning propeties will remove all waxes, supagards, even the Carlack68 applied previously. So once a year I would say or if the wax just can't give you the depth your looking for, or the winter salts have made the paintwork "rough" (run your finger along the top of the bonnet after washing and drying). However, it's non abrasive and therefore if you have bad scratches or serious oxidation, use Autoglym or something slightly abrasive first.... My wifes car was badly swirled before Carlack, and I have to say that most of these (not all) have gone, when viewed under the flourescent light in the garage.

2) Carnuba is a wonderful wax, but it is soft. I read Autopia before I ordered it, which is quite detailed, especially one of the articles on there. In order to make it last, I would say you need to give it a couple of coats, each one removed/allowed to harden sufficiently before the next coat. So all you need is a couple of hours after washing max, split across 2 days. Once 2 coats of P21S wax are applied, I reckon you should be OK for at least 3-6 months before you need more wax again...'cos even if the wax starts to wear off, you still have the Carlack68 underneath it.

Winter could be more testing for the Carnauba - with salt etc. But if like me you garage your car at night, you'll probably need more infrequent applications.

I haven't invested in any decent car shampoo yet - I bet some are better than others...? In the menatime I am using my jumbo 5 litre Zip Wax...which ain't bad - but I'm sure someone will tell me differently -

Mr Morse? :blush:

You're right about the CarLack / Klasse AIO removing all previous applications. Personally I give my cars the full treatment 3 times a year - once before winter, once around this time and another in early summer in preparation for show time & track days.

For a major detailing, I always use a strong detergent (Fairy etc) to help remove as much surface crap as possible, using a soft bristle brush, which gets into those awkward places much better than a wash mit. I then use a clay bar to go over every panel.

After washing off all the clay residue I use Klasse AIO (same as CarLack) with the blue pad on the polisher. Buff up after with a microfibre cloth.

Next step is 3 layers of Klasse SG applied (very very sparingly) using a foam or microfibre pad and buffed up again. Any more than 3 layers and I find that the black finish looks hazy.

Final stage is 2 layers of Souveran carnauba wax, applied with a foam pad. I just love the smell of this stuff!

Once a week or minor detailing involves using a paintwork-friendly detergent, such as Meg's Gold or Autoglym and a lambswool mit. I then use Sonus carnabla spritz and bring the original shine back to its former glory.

As mentioned above ive already got my carlack and wax etc, but ive been reading more topics this mornig and the maguiers 3 step seems popular. Is there anyone who has used both the car lack/Klasse and wax and the 3 stage meguiers sytem.

Which do you think is best?

• 2 weeks later...

After recommenations here, I bought Carlack and Carnauba wax. I used Carlack on the car today, but I didn't have time to apply the wax. I then made a 150 mile round-trip.

I didn't apply Carlack to the roof today, and looking at the car when I got home this evening, the roof has a pretty good coating of dust (it looks like I drove it through a desert for the day) and the rest of the car is still shining brightly.

Thumbs up!

After recommenations here, I bought Carlack and Carnauba wax. I used Carlack on the car today, but I didn't have time to apply the wax. I then made a 150 mile round-trip.

I didn't apply Carlack to the roof today, and looking at the car when I got home this evening, the roof has a pretty good coating of dust (it looks like I drove it through a desert for the day) and the rest of the car is still shining brightly.

Thumbs up!

Wait till you've waxed it a couple of times.... :blush: Even the snow flakes bounce/slide off!!

• 1 year later...
I buy in Supaguard boxes for £30 a box, we charge £200 to carry out treatment to a car!!! :ohmy: Lexus down the road are charging £400 a treatment!!!

Its all a rip off, and the Supaguard boxes have too much stuff to use for a single car!

So everyone here is saying 'No' to Supaguard.

As you see, I'm new here; I had mine done before reading all this; what is now my best course of action? Do I need to renew the whole thing every so often? Should I stick with Supaguard? Can the general public buy the boxes?

No worries - don't fret!!

You can buty the kit's on eBay for a fraction - and you'll be able to keep your car looking mint. Supagard Example -just watch the delivery charges...I wouldn't pay more than £35 all told...

The biggest issue with Supagard is cost, not the product itself which is quite good. Dealers charge so much - and unless you've been through the loop before or spoken to someone else in the know, it'll cost you the earth and the dealers will love it!!

In the meantime, do the simple things to avoid accidentally taking it all off - There is no straiight answer - Use non-abrasive waxes (Use simple Carnauba type wax, avoid polishes and "Cleaners") and avoid car washes or back street handwash places where they might sand blast your car for a cool £5er!!

Checkout Autopia's site here:

Click on "Learn"

PS -your other question - will it need doing every so often? Well it will - they say it lasts up to 3 years, but I reckon you should get at least 12-24 months in normal conditions, careful handwashes, topped up with approved waxes etc...basically follow the "pack" you should have got...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links