Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Number Plates

lexus boy

Who decided that number plates have to be made up of numbers and letters.

Is it me or is this just really dumb?

Why cant you have what ever you want as a personalized number plate.....?

There is n realistic reason why that I can see......

anyone care to shed any light

Irish system used to have letter number combo's but changed to a more open system in 1987.......

Now your plate reads 06-D-1234, where 06 is the year, D stands for the county (Dublin in this example) - 1234 was the next no. allocated in that county........Not many vehicles registered in december but come jan 1st...amazing how many are "sold " on the first day of the year... :winky:

I think it's a good transparent system, now you know at a glance how old the car is, what county it was first registered in ( D is best, they get the good roads up there, KY= kerry , suspension will have taken a beating)

No. = well a low number means it was bought at the start of the year and a high no. it was bought a lot later on....

Irish system used to have letter number combo's but changed to a more open system in 1987.......

Now your plate reads 06-D-1234, where 06 is the year, D stands for the county (Dublin in this example) - 1234 was the next no. allocated in that county........Not many vehicles registered in december but come jan 1st...amazing how many are "sold " on the first day of the year... :winky:

I think it's a good transparent system, now you know at a glance how old the car is, what county it was first registered in ( D is best, they get the good roads up there, KY= kerry , suspension will have taken a beating)

No. = well a low number means it was bought at the start of the year and a high no. it was bought a lot later on....

It's kinda similar with the UK plates now though ain't it. Don't the first two letters represent where the car was first registered (although I don't know what they exactly mean), and the numbers represent the year and which half of the year it was registered. The first two letters of my car are FN which tells me is was registered F**king nowhere :lol:

In this country, as in many others, the reg goes with the car, in some states in the US you are given a number when you get your licence and that stays with you till you die.

The reason for the letters is the number of different characters, you can get 676 combinations out of 2 characters rather than 100 out of 2 numbers.

thread hi-jack does anyone know of a good website i can get a plate made up, im getting one for my 21st birthday, ideally i want one that allows me to have a sheffield wednesday logo.

i remember coming across it a while back but cannot remember it for the life of me it was something like ezplates.com but i cant seem to find it.

ive tried demon plates but they dont have sheffield wednesday logos.

Actually, I prefer the Irish plate system, its much easier to understand than the current UK system, I cannot understand the new UK registeration system either (I mean I can't understand the first two letters of a plate, don't have problems with the rest, i.e: 51,02,55 etc....this relates to year of manufacture)........maybe it would be better if you were issued with your own number when you pass your test, this number would be transfered from car to car, but the downside of this would be what if someone owned more than one car.......you couldn't register different cars using the same registration number.....

The system is easy, the first 2 letters are a code for the local DVLA office where the car was first registered. The last 3 letters are random

All you need to know HERE

To find out where a car was registered have a look HERE

The system is easy, the first 2 letters are a code for the local DVLA office where the car was first registered. The last 3 letters are random

All you need to know HERE

To find out where a car was registered have a look HERE

Blimey - that means my car's from Nottingham.

It still seems a bit of a *****-eyed system to me though. Why couldn't they have used a similar system to like naming the States ? They could have used BL for Bristol, NM for Nottingham, blah...blah...blah

thread hi-jack does anyone know of a good website i can get a plate made up, im getting one for my 21st birthday, ideally i want one that allows me to have a sheffield wednesday logo.

i remember coming across it a while back but cannot remember it for the life of me it was something like ezplates.com but i cant seem to find it.

Got mine from here gtgrafix as recomended by Mr Morse

Do not know if Shef Wed are on the list as maybe not that much demand :D

They could have used BL for Bristol, NM for Nottingham, blah...blah...blah

Cos that would only allow Nottinham to issue 27,648 registrations a year, the way it has been done they can issue 414,720 per year. I know, sad that I sat down and worked it out but that's the reason.

I agree that the system is a bit off the wall but so was the old one it replaced. I had a car reg suffix XKX and that was registered in Luton.

I the real old days the AA members handbook, when they did one and patrolmen saluted members, it used to have a section with all the registration areas and their letters :o

Got mine from here gtgrafix as recomended by Mr Morse

Do not know if Shef Wed are on the list as maybe not that much demand :D

Here's one of a set of custom import plates that GTGRAFIX made for me.....fitted to the Tubby. Excellent quality, made with real carbon fibre lettering rather than the cf effect lettering and with my own logo. :D

med_gallery_8450_238_31175.jpg

In this country, as in many others, the reg goes with the car, in some states in the US you are given a number when you get your licence and that stays with you till you die.

The reason for the letters is the number of different characters, you can get 676 combinations out of 2 characters rather than 100 out of 2 numbers.

http://www.createplates.com/plates/numberplate/step2.html

exellent service - gave me my own font on there web ordering

No there are far more permations (sp) if you could have any private number plate.

such as LEXUS TW

jsut wondering when this system came in?

and who decided it?

was it government? or dvla?

Its not that I disagree with the way they give a standard number plate out. But surely if you want a private plate...why not anything.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links