Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Automatic Gearbox

Ro1

What is the exact functions of the paddles in the IS250 auto? I'm still waiting for my new car and had assumed the paddles changed the gears up and down. However, from reading the car manual posted in the US forum, it suggests the paddles are used to increase or decrease the range of gears available to the auto box.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

the paddles do change up and down but probably they are implying that they select the gears in the auto box.....They probably have sensors as well which wont let you make a bags of it and try and select a lower gear than will overrev the engine.

On my tiptronic if i am in manual mode and select 3rd gear...this dosen't mean that the car is now in 3rd only, you can rev 3rd to the limiter and it won't change up but It will still use all the gears up as far and including 3rd but won't go above it....hence you say the autobox then has less gears available to it...

Nicnac is right about not letting you change down if you are going to put the revs above the limit...

What is the exact functions of the paddles in the IS250 auto? I'm still waiting for my new car and had assumed the paddles changed the gears up and down. However, from reading the car manual posted in the US forum, it suggests the paddles are used to increase or decrease the range of gears available to the auto box.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

you are correct - it means you are changing its gears. However, what manual mentions is that if you stop, or slow down, car will still automatically select lower gear to keep you going.

The paddles change the gear range that the automatic can select from. Changing the range doesn't necessarily mean it will change gear at that moment.

Example ...you're in range 2 doing 25mph. You change up to range 6 by pulling the + paddle 4 times in short order. The gearbox will probably change to 3rd or 4th but won't go to 6th.

Also you're right, the 'box will downshift as normal as speed is reduced, you don't need to pull the - paddle

It's great for town driving, as you can keep to a lower gear and keep the revs up..and up...and up !

B)-->

QUOTE(Carlos B @ Feb 26 2006, 12:03 PM)

The paddles change the gear range that the automatic can select from. Changing the range doesn't necessarily mean it will change gear at that moment.

Example ...you're in range 2 doing 25mph. You change up to range 6 by pulling the + paddle 4 times in short order. The gearbox will probably change to 3rd or 4th but won't go to 6th.

Also you're right, the 'box will downshift as normal as speed is reduced, you don't need to pull the - paddle

It's great for town driving, as you can keep to a lower gear and keep the revs up..and up...and up !

If you downshift say from third to second the car will downshift straight away unless it would cause engine damage

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links