Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bike Carriers For The New Is250

Hi Everybody.

I am a fairly avvid push bike rider and in the past have put tow bars on my cars so I can have a bike carrier. The new 250 doesn't have a tow bar (as yet and the manual advises against it) and hence cannot take the bike out (except riding from home).

Does anybody know of a carrier that will go on the back (over the boot) of the 250?

I won't use a roof rack kind as it leaves you open for major roof damage (forgetting it is there when driving under low levels), and the boots are too small to put the bikes into.

rap03,

I've got one of these (it's a UK place - (+44) 01282 699555):

Pendle Bike Rack

It's one where the bikes are "hoisted" so they do not obscure your number plate, and I have managed 1 adult and 2 kids bikes with ease.

It's not the cheapest (I paid £59 nearly 3 years ago), and bought it from the Bike shop at Rutland Water (incidentally when I bought an excellent ex-rental bike for my son).

It is good - very stable once anchored down with the bikes, and comes with additional straps etc. It's height adjustable too. Worked a treat on my A4, but not tried it on a Lex...though it's universal...

Thanks NetOne, but Good roadbikes DON'T fold up! :ohmy:

And serious Aussie bike riders wouldn't be caught dead on a fold up, not like you Brits. :hehe:

This is not true rap03, some of the guys HERE use fold up push bike :lol:

• 3 months later...

Hi peeps,

I am also in the market for a Bike Rack solution for my IS250.

I don't want one of those universal boot mounted ones, as I have seen the damage they can do to paintwork and bumbers.

I was thinking of roof mounted system. Called Lexus dealer for a quote and guess how much? Well I want to take two adult bikes and two kids bikes to Cornwall this summer. The quote was £566.68, inc VAT and fitting.

I have looked at Thule systems, and also Atera, which seem to be good aluminiun bike holders. But what I need first is a good set of roof bars for the IS250.

Has anybody bought a good set, that doesn't cost the earth?

Also just for info. the Lexus dealer told me this spec. for carring things, not sure where it is from:

The IS 250/220 roof can support 75kg Max weight

The roof rack weighs 4.5kg

Each carrier weighs 3.2kg making the total weight 17.3 kg for 4 bike holders.

For 4 bikes they must not weigh over 57.3kg between them

Anyway, any advice or lessons learnt would be very helpful. Once I get a solution I will share my views and experience here.

Thanks

it's_a_doozy.

I have bought and used the boot mounted carrier, but have been very carefull when I have used it. Only with 2 bikes.

Lexus now have the towbars available, but not here "downunder". They haven't had it certified yet. When they do, I wil be getting a towbar and put my towbar bike carrier on.

Only issue with these carriers and the towbar is, that the towbars look like they are the same as for the IS200/300 and the "bull horn" all-in-one type and hence no towbar ball.

What I had done on my IS200 was to have a small plate (about 2.5"x2.5") welded onto the "bull horn" so I could attach the bike carrier. This worked well. Could still attach a trailer if needed. Just have to have the plate welded low enough on the "bull horn" so the trailer coupling fits over the ball and not sit on the plate.

I don't like the roof mount systems as you can forget there there and cause lots of damage if you hit a low level roof/overhang/whatever.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Try http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk.

I have recently bought an IS 200 and need to carry my bikes. On my previous car, a Toyota, I used the Witter with their bike carrier which worked perfectly. The bike carrier is substantially made, is secure and there is no chance of damage to the car. It does only take 2 bikes although I have seen more crammed onto one - presumably those owners thought little of bikes or car. The bike carrier can be dismounted in seconds and is easily stored in the boot. You do need a number plate board.

On the website, Witter are offering a towbar for the 250

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links