Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

A couple of weeks ago someone tried to steal my RX using the wheel arch CAN BUS method. I was extremely lucky that I saw the thief and he ran off before completing the job, but not before managing to disconnect the cables.

Lexus were extremely helpful and spent more that 30 minutes reconnecting everything and did not even charge me.

It is absolutely ridiculous that this is such a simple way of stealing cars and surely something like a software upgrade could solve the issue. Maybe not?

I have now taken to using a steering lock which I hope can act as a visual deterrent. I have also disabled keyless entry in the car (not sure if this makes any difference) and put the keys in a Faraday pouch at home.

You have all these conveniences in the car that you pay for, only to have to disable them and make everything more inconvenient.

There must be a solution..............

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Lexus will bat away any complaint and refuse to acknowledge there is a weakness, unless we all get to together and start complaining to Lexus UK. I read today that the RX450h is one of the most stolen cars this year, up there with Range Rovers!

Nothing much we can do individually except use a good steering wheel lock to make it less attractive.

It makes me wonder if my car isn't targeted simply because it's not worth much, are the earlier cars as easy to steal as well? If a 2020 car was easier to steal than a 2006 that would be truly shocking.

Based on similar posts about RX thefts (and CANBUS theft in general) I took the decision to have a Scorpion X-Series Immobiliser fitted for peace of mind as it protects against CANBUS and Key Relay theft [more info link].

I also considered a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrent but decided against one after seeing YouTube videos of how easy they are to remove and the damage caused as a result; yes they would deter the run of the mill street vermin but not the ones that come prepared!

Hopefully the worst case scenario is that I’ll wake up to find some wheel arch and wiring damage but at least I’ll still have the car.

Will Lexus roll out a modification to address this vulnerability... I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 1

I was also considering a Ghost immobiliser which comes highly recommended. However they will only find out about it once they have caused damage to the car.

They will do their thing and only then realise they cannot drive the car away.

Still thinking about it though.

8 minutes ago, Rob62 said:

After talking (may have been a mild interrogation) to the lad who installed it and seeing how it was done I was left very impressed. 

2 hours ago, m4rkw said:

if it can be stolen this easily could it be a Sale of Goods Act issue?

I think a class law action would be the best step, they would just laugh off any individual claim.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I think a class law action would be the best step, they would just laugh off any individual claim.

Collective pressure is often how change happens. If enough people complain to Lexus eventually it will reach a point where they feel compelled to do something.

39 minutes ago, Sixty said:

Based on similar posts about RX thefts (and CANBUS theft in general) I took the decision to have a Scorpion X-Series Immobiliser fitted for peace of mind as it protects against CANBUS and Key Relay theft [more info link].

I also considered a steering wheel lock as a visual deterrent but decided against one after seeing YouTube videos of how easy they are to remove and the damage caused as a result; yes they would deter the run of the mill street vermin but not the ones that come prepared!

Hopefully the worst case scenario is that I’ll wake up to find some wheel arch and wiring damage but at least I’ll still have the car.

Will Lexus roll out a modification to address this vulnerability... I won’t hold my breath. 

Well they bloody well should or at the least getting their tech people to address it with some urgency as “if” I were in the market for a new car It would not be a thief’s target.

• Like 1

These cars are what, £40k or so new?  I think if I were in the market I'd just budget for some decent aftermarket security as an add-on, it's not really much to drop an extra £1k when spending that much on a car.

That said I would never spend that on a car anyway, my price range is like £8k max 😄

2 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Nope, new top of the range RX is just shy of £80k.

Seems like a no-brainer to get some extra security then? What's an extra grand when you're spending that kind of money?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Seems like a no-brainer to get some extra security then? What's an extra grand when you're spending that kind of money?

I don't agree, a bit like buying a car with 3 wheels and it's an extra £1k for a fourth wheel.

I get no car can be made 100% theft proof, but this would appear to be a major design defect.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I don't agree, a bit like buying a car with 3 wheels and it's an extra £1k for a fourth wheel.

I get no car can be made 100% theft proof, but this would appear to be a major design defect.

Not to mention a real annoyance to those affected, well we all will of course as our insurance costs will rise accordingly regardless of having extra security fitted. 

Edit …… Good choice Sir and yes it will be here on the day agreed, now would you also like our high security package fitted as well ?

? why so ?

Sorry to say this Lexus tops the league of most stolen cars in the UK but with our

Noise of door slamming !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m4rkw said:

Collective pressure is often how change happens. If enough people complain to Lexus eventually it will reach a point where they feel compelled to do something.

Agreed, first step would be to write a letter to Lexus GB MD Chris Hayes expressing concern and asking what are they doing about it.You can't email, at least I can't find his address on RocketReach or CEOEmail, but if he gets enough letters his office will realise that the ball is rolling and the media  and possibly VOSA are going to get involved soon, which would not be good for their image. No point in dealing with minions they won't have any authority to move things on.

The address I've used in the past is : Lexus GB Ltd, Great Burgh, Burgh Heath, Epsom , Surrey KT18 5UX

This is something Lexus need to get hold of and quick. It is simply not acceptable  for products of this value to be such an easy target and encouraging criminals. My local service manager advised that Lexus are looking at it, but as with all large companies there won't be any urgency until there is an incentive.

It's in  our hands.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StewartM said:

Lexus aren't the only car with CANBUS. Why are others not stolen in this manner  ?

Yes all modern cars have a CAN bus, the specific vulnerability is likely due to ease of access to the electrical wiring and the supported functionality of the CAN bus when the vehicle is locked and secured.

17 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Yes all modern cars have a CAN bus, the specific vulnerability is likely due to ease of access to the electrical wiring and the supported functionality of the CAN bus when the vehicle is locked and secured.

Cheers Andrew, thanks.

21 hours ago, Rob62 said:

I was also considering a Ghost immobiliser which comes highly recommended. However they will only find out about it once they have caused damage to the car.

They will do their thing and only then realise they cannot drive the car away.

Rob  CCTV  On your drive or wherever you park your car particularly at night 24/7 Which alerts you on your mobile phone that someone is near your car is the Answer...Believe me I KNOW whenever somebody is within the close proximity of my Car !!  When parking during daylight at say car parks Be observant and watch for anything remotely suspicious and put on a steering wheel lock ( I use a Milenco which is ONE of the best As a Deterrant.. Only Other deterrant  When out is Keep Croccy ( The Crocodile ) In The back of your car.. But Think Seriously About CCTV

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Rob  CCTV  On your drive or wherever you park your car particularly at night 24/7 Which alerts you on your mobile phone that someone is near your car is the Answer...Believe me I KNOW whenever somebody is within the close proximity of my Car !!  When parking during daylight at say car parks Be observant and watch for anything remotely suspicious and put on a steering wheel lock ( I use a Milenco which is ONE of the best As a Deterrant.. Only Other deterrant  When out is Keep Croccy ( The Crocodile ) In The back of your car.. But Think Seriously About CCTV

Thanks Ron. I do have CCTV but his face was fully covered and he did not seem to care. Perhaps putting razor wire under the wheel arches and electrifying the car with 50,000 volts might give the next one a bit of a shock! The problem is I am the one that will be arrested for harming a scumbag.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 13.13.09.png

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 13.13.42.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links