Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headroom With And Without Sunroof

Can anyone tell me whether having the sunroof has a notably detrimental effect on headroom. I would quite like this feature but am tall, consequently my dealer has advised against it. I guess headroom even before you add the sun-roof is already quite low versus competitors. Or is it that the sun-roof simply takes up a lot of space?

Thanks in anticipation.

Can anyone tell me whether having the sunroof has a notably detrimental effect on headroom. I would quite like this feature but am tall, consequently my dealer has advised against it. I guess headroom even before you add the sun-roof is already quite low versus competitors. Or is it that the sun-roof simply takes up a lot of space?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cannot see the point of a moon roof to be honest as it just introduces noise. Why would you drive along with the window open if you've got A/C? It's just another window, but in the roof.

I have one on my IS200, but rarely if ever use it..... apart of course to look through when keeping track of the plod chopper when it makes a rare appearance :D :D

Thanks in anticipation.

The sunroof takes valuable headroom. I wanted a car without it but here in Oz just about all are brought in with one. You don't need it and you'll appreciate the extra space. It is also noisy as another poster said.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cannot see the point of a moon roof to be honest as it just introduces noise. Why would you drive along with the window open if you've got A/C? It's just another window, but in the roof.

I have one on my IS200, but rarely if ever use it..... apart of course to look through when keeping track of the plod chopper when it makes a rare appearance :D :D

For me there are somme vantages on a moon roof.

First off all, i love it

Second, is better to have the roof open, than the window. Better in high speeds. Less noise.

In some situations that outside temperature is not so hot, i dont use the AC, moon roof open.

More light in the cabin.

Thanks for these comments. By far the wisest is sit in both and see for yourself!

In every car I've owned that has had a sun roof, headroom has been reduced slighlty. Is there anyone who owns a new IS250/ IS220d for whom this is a big problem? i.e. big enough to consider switching to a non-sun roof model because your head scrapes against the sun roof!

Head height isn't a problem for me, but then I'm only a 6 footer. I haven't noticed any restriction on head height with or without the moon roof, and I've driven several models with and without.

I just wanted to "put this subject to bed" for the benefit of future forum users.

I took the advice given and went and sat in two different IS250s, one with and one without the sunroof. Here's the bottom line from my point of view.

The sun roof is a really nice to have extra, not least because it helps more light enter the cabin. And it's easy to use. However, it does take up quite a significant amount of headroom: some 2 inches or so! That said this is only likely to affect people who have a long torso. I am 6'0" with quite a long back and didn't feel that the amount of available headroom was any worse than a BMW 3-series with the same extra. I lowered the driver's seat and found I had plenty of headroom. Even when I raised the seat to look down the bonnet, still my head didn't touch the roof. So I don't really think this is a problem.

In comparison, the car without the sunroof had acres of interior headroom and felt much more spacious and luxurious as a result.

Choose either option and you won't be disappointed.

My sales man did advise me that the sunroof did take up a lt of room but i so needed one that i decided to go againts his wishes and I am glad I did.

Now, I aint small and I mean longways and sideways, if u want the sunroof go for it as u will not be disappointed!!!!

Im glad I went for it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links