Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bit Of A Problem With The Install.....!

Hey guys i was just in the middle of hooking my amps back up after a bit of tidying up in the boot. When i turned on the ignition to check everything ok something strange happened. The was noise interference coming through all the speakers and even there with the HU turned on? Both amps still power on fine Anyone have any ideas what i did wrong? blown a fuse? blown an amp? Please help!! :crybaby:

Are you runing your speaker wire next to your amp cables?

You should in theory run the power down the passenger side, rca's down the middle, and the speaker wire down the drivers side (ie furtherest away from the power).

Or your RCA cables, or speaker cables could be touching earth somewhere?

When you've got the engine turned on does the pitch of the noise raise with the revs? that would indicate an earth fault or bad earth connection.

Are you runing your speaker wire next to your amp cables?

You should in theory run the power down the passenger side, rca's down the middle, and the speaker wire down the drivers side (ie furtherest away from the power).

Or your RCA cables, or speaker cables could be touching earth somewhere?

When you've got the engine turned on does the pitch of the noise raise with the revs? that would indicate an earth fault or bad earth connection.

Ye cables are running seperate to each other. When i rev the engine you can hear it through the speakers. So maybe when i was tidying up the cables one of the earth cables came lose. Ill check it out in the morning, and hopefully its just a loose connection.

Cheers Stav

Ok lads still having this interference problem throught the speakers. so i've taken pulled out all the cables to make sure theres no breaks anywhere just trying to get the speakers and 1 amp working properly at the mo. i have 2 amps, a 4 channel pioneer and a 2 channel in Phase, with the pioneer one hooked up, the power light on the amp flickers on and off and no music comes through the speakers just a clicking sound,(engine is off) So i switched amps and tried the 2 channel amp, this had both music and interference, so what im thinking, maybe my car Battery is on the way out and the amps aren't getting enough power to work propperly. Any thoughts?

Really wish I could help mate.

The only time I had interference was on my old car when putting a CD changer in. I just changed where I grounded it and it worked fine then.

Sorry can't be of more use :(

so where are the best ground points? Firstly for the headunit, secondly for amps in the boot?

I know on the lexus behind the amp is where a few earths go, there is a connector there. There is also one under the gearstick surround.

Not too sure in the boot :(

could a bad Hu ground cause the interference? Man i cant wait to get this wire, knowing my luck it wont work :unsure:

So now i think i've narrowed down the problem to the headunit. Its fooked! With just the RCA cable plugged into the amp and HU, i switch the ignition to ACC and i get interference! Tried with my sisters HU, same setup and magic... no interference!! So im thinking when re-connecting rverything i damaged the HU some how, i was thinking of opening it up to see if there is any evidence of damage on the inside, but its still under warranty so i might just send it back to Pioneer. Any suggestions or anyone ever return a faulty HU ro manufacturer. will it be covered under warranty even though i probably damaged it myself! :tsktsk:

Try your headunit in your sisters motor :winky:

tried that but because her car's speakers are so bad. i couldnt hear any interference. ive re-done and connected all the HU cables the best i can and no change. One thing that makes me think the HU is gone.... one day in the not so distant past, when i was chopping up wires and testing which ones were contstant 12v, acc etc off the factory HU, i connected what i thought was the earth,( was refererencing to IS300 diagrams which are no where near the same), some smoke and melting smell came out of my shiney new HU, turned it off quickly fearing the worst, finally got it working again and it was fine. So maybe that little incident finally caught up with me :blush:

Hmm that could be the problem then. Unlucky Mate. LOL

Yeah, i know, u learn from your mistakes!! but it was working fine until i started tidying up my boot install! Should have just left the mess in the boot! Cant find my receipt for it! and the guys i bought it from are ****ers!!

Should i open it up and have a look inside? maybe there is some internal fuse thats gone, im thinking that would void the warranty though :question:

Probably try and take it back and as Stav said, just play dumb.

Don't think it'll be worth opening as you don't know what to look for anyway.

Look for the melted stuff i smelt burning!!!

Yeah but as you say it will void any warranty you have. If you do find the bits that fried you probably couldn't replace them anyway, probably some little electronic part.

Probably try and take it back and as Stav said, just play dumb.

Don't think it'll be worth opening as you don't know what to look for anyway.

Look for the melted stuff i smelt burning!!!

Yeah but as you say it will void any warranty you have. If you do find the bits that fried you probably couldn't replace them anyway, probably some little electronic part.

i think ill leave it so! at least i found the receipt!! now to find the box!

:)

Let us know how you get on

Will do. Found the box too! I'll bring it back in the morning. hopefully they give me a replacement there and then! :lol: I doubt it though. I only bought it in September, i hope there feeling festive!

So just a quick update on the situation, went back to the retailer to see if they have any news on my damaged head unit. The guy said, the guy from Pioneer said that he thinks the headunit got damaged because of a lose earth connection on one of my amps, which meant that the amp wasnt grounded properly so it used the RCA's as a grounding point which burnt out the earth print on the RCA's on the HU which caused the interference.

So lesson learned... always make sure your amps power and earth connections are all good before you connect them up to your HU :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links