Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Grade Confusion For 1998 Gs 300.

Max_UK

It's time for an oil change on the 1998 GS 300 (MK 2 with 35k on the clock)

(My BMW also needs an oil change & BMW recommend a fully synthetic oil. Castrol site says Edge 0W-30).

I've spent the afternoon checking the forum for a concensus view on what oil to use in the Lexus & have ended up confused.

Whilst taking a bath (Yes i do occasionally :P ), I had a "eureka" moment. :hehe:

As the BMW needs 6.5 litres & the Lexus needs 5.5 litres, then buying three 4 litre containers of Castrol Edge 0W-30 would be enough to "oil change" both cars. It also makes it simpler to keep only one type of oil for any topping up required.

Question is, will a fully synthetic oil on an older car give any grief? (Castrol site also says Edge 0W-30 for the Lexus).

Halfords are prepared to practically give it to me for only £42.99/4 litres, but £126 odd plus oil filters is a heck of a lot cheaper than the £500 it would cost at the two dealerships.

The Lexus owners manual is not a lot of help & suggests a 10W-30 SJ multigrade. Oils have moved on since 1998, so what do the Lexus dealers put in on a routine service?

My other alternative would seem to be Mobil 1 0W-40 as endorsed by several people on the forum.

(Thanks GSSPORT from

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=35808

below)

Any feedback is much appreciated, (as is any cheaper supplier of oil, factors maybe?).

Thanks guys,

Max

Hi Max,

As has been said before on many forum threads, if the manufacturer says use a 10W-30 oil then that's what is best for the engine.

However, the argument about using mineral, semi-synthetic, and synthetic only oil has many sides.

Synthetic oil is by far the best stuff for modern engines, as they have been built with tighter tolerances than were used in the past, also modern oils are a little more catalyst friendly in as much as they have less harmful additives (less harmful to the cat that is).

I have always used either Halfords own synthetic oil, but they don't do a 10W-30, at least not in this area, or Valvoline SynPower. Both these are top quality oils and are relatively cheap, eg, SynPower 10W-30 around £18 for 4 litres from a good factor.

Another reason I use Valvoline stuff is I worked in the vehicle hire trade as a mechanic and serviced the hire fleet. We always used this on everything, cars, vans, lorries, and never had any problems at all with it. (this was a mineral oil by the way, in the 80s/90s, synthetic hadn't become readily available then)

So in other words, use the manufacturers recommended viscosity oil, and use synthetic.

Hope this helps.

Roj.

don't go with too thin an oil. once your engine gets older, the thinner oils have a tendency to find their way past seals that thicker oils would not get past. IMHO. oh, stick with semi-synthetic, that's what lexus used to use when I took my LS in for servicing.

Thanks for the replies guys, but in the meantime I've "bitten the bullet" & bought 15 litres of Mobil 1 0W-40 plus filters from our local factors (CAF) @ £37/5 Litres.

Will be doing the oil changes soon & will post back if it pours out of the engine :ohmy: .

I'm optimistic as the engine only has 35K on the clock & is oil tight at the moment.

regards,

Max.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links