Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acceleration And Handling For A New Owner

Hey all, I just recently purchased my LEXUS IS200 SE. Love the car to bits and just wanted to iron out a few details before i start driving it seriously.

My first question is that if wanted to do the quicket acceleration, then would i need to rev each gear just before it hits red?, or do each gears have different optimum rpms to which u should change em on if i wanted the quickest acceleration - if this is the case then what should they be? (bearing in mind that the road that i will be driving on will be flat).

The second question concerns trc, i am an agressive driver, and from reading other posts concerning traction control i am getting the impression that i should turn it off. I would only would want to turn it off if its reducing my acceleration and affecting my control, which does seem to be the case from other users opinion. Yet as i have just purchased the car, i am unsure to turn it off straight away, as the purpose of trc is give me more grip on the road and prevent me loosing control and i dont want to crash it!! - but am i correct in thinking that?, and if so, is it that noticeable. Overall what im asking is what should I do, shall i turn it off all the time, and when should i turn it on??

Appreciate the help, and i know these quesitons have been asked a billion times.

Cheers

Hi

You should rev it all the way in all gears. The IS200 has a maximum power output at 6200 rpm.

TRC on/off? If you are an experienced driver you could switch if off but be aware the limit for loosing the tail is very sharp. Maybe you should go to a track day and practice before you turn it off on the road wouldn't look nice with a Lexus crumpled around the lamp post in your town :blink:

I lost the tail in mine on a frosty morning with the TRC on and there was absolutely no warning whatsoever but at that time I only had the car for 1 week.

So ur saying i should rev each gear to max revs at about 6200rpm to give me max acceleration?

I think it would be slightly unwise for me to take off the traction control straight away until i am fully used to the car. I just hope i can wait that long!

Leave it on in the wet or you will find yourself in a ditch!!

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

Keep the TRC on for now until you get the feel for the car.

With the TRC ON you will find the rear end slide a little when getting on the power but it sorts its self out,you might have to turn into the slide alittle.

Id get a feel for how the power is delivered and then think about turning the TRC off ;)

Good Luck..

Chips.

Hi and Welcome to LOC :)

Keep the TRC on for now until you get the feel for the car.

With the TRC ON you will find the rear end slide a little when getting on the power but it sorts its self out,you might have to turn into the slide alittle.

Id get a feel for how the power is delivered and then think about turning the TRC off ;)

Good Luck..

Chips.

it was obviously damp or frosty this morning as I was going round a roundabout at a nice easy pace and had the back end out, nothing serious and I wasnt too worried except I was getting a little concerned about marking my alloys on the iminent Kerb that was aproaching. I would say I was a good driver but it was obviously not me, the good old TRC was keeping me alive! :lol: :D

keep it on for safety and also wheel spinning is no faster than having the power low until you get grip!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links