Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid's....

jackal

With regards to HID, I can say one thing - DO NOT USE A KIT!!

If you want to do a proper job of it, there's two ways to go about it:

1) HID Retrofit - pick up a set of Acura TL projectors (Honda Legend) and HID Kit from the USA for £250ish, then do a DIY retrofit ... this is the best way to do it in terms of price and output, etc. Projectors enable a MUCH better light output than reflectors (stock GS300 HID).

2) Pick up the stock GS300 HID lights, ballasts, etc and fit them on although autolevelling will not work.

I'd personally go for the first option, as I'm looking at getting it done pretty soon myself with a set of Acura TL or Honda S2000/LS430 projectors with a colour mod.

Hope that helps! :).

With regards to HID, I can say one thing - DO NOT USE A KIT!!

If you want to do a proper job of it, there's two ways to go about it:

1) HID Retrofit - pick up a set of Acura TL projectors (Honda Legend) and HID Kit from the USA for £250ish, then do a DIY retrofit ... this is the best way to do it in terms of price and output, etc. Projectors enable a MUCH better light output than reflectors (stock GS300 HID).

2) Pick up the stock GS300 HID lights, ballasts, etc and fit them on although autolevelling will not work.

I'd personally go for the first option, as I'm looking at getting it done pretty soon myself with a set of Acura TL or Honda S2000/LS430 projectors with a colour mod.

Hope that helps! :).

Had no problems with my HID kit. Been excellent! One of the best small mods ive made to my car. Sure many members would agree with.

If you're going to make a statement like that, at least give the reasoning as to why you wouldn't go down that route.

Using a HID Kit in a stock headlight with the reflector produces alot of uneven light. Cutoff point isn't sharp either, requiring you to lower the levelling of the beam.

Have you ever cared to compare a stock HID cutoff along with your kit? Go do it, then you'll find out why I recommended the above. Your way not only daze's oncoming drivers on B Roads but also on dual carriageways and motorways. You may think you can see everything, but are you aware that you may be "distracting" oncoming traffic or even drivers in front of you?

Also I suggest you do a bit of research on it, as there's LOADS of information out there that proves what I said. One such place being:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Which involves ALOT of HID Fanatics, who do nothing but modify their headlights USING projectors and NOT the stock Halogen reflector due the above disadvantages I pointed out :).

If you simply don't care about distracting other drivers then more power to you :).

Not disputing what you say about dazzling other drivers. I, myself have had them inspected by a garage to test the scatter pattern and are fine.

If the law wants to come down heavily on dazzling drivers....they should stop these morons using the fog lights.

I think with anything, you get what you pay for....the kit I have is not the cheapest but its brilliant quality.

:D

Sorry if I came across a little strong - just had someone yesterday night on the A406 with a HID conversion kit - annoying the **** out of me. Sorry again.

Edit: Just so you know it's not the quailty of the HID Kit, it's the actual pattern of the HID. Most kits that utilize the reflectors would have hotspots in the beam which is what causes the "distracting/blinding" beam at night. I've seen so many cars with these hotspots which is why I'm totally against just slapping on a HID kit into a Halogen housing without the use of projectors, or a complete Headlight change.

Sorry again for sounding aggressive :).

Sorry if I came across a little strong - just had someone yesterday night on the A406 with a HID conversion kit - annoying the **** out of me. Sorry again.

Edit: Just so you know it's not the quailty of the HID Kit, it's the actual pattern of the HID. Most kits that utilize the reflectors would have hotspots in the beam which is what causes the "distracting/blinding" beam at night. I've seen so many cars with these hotspots which is why I'm totally against just slapping on a HID kit into a Halogen housing without the use of projectors, or a complete Headlight change.

Sorry again for sounding aggressive :).

No probs matey :D

Hey Brain,

The kit involves opening up your current headlights, cutting out a "hole" in the reflector to put the projector through, making sure the "sheild" is put on the right way (so your beam looks like ----> -----____)and the levelling is perfectly fine (guide available on above forum), and then just hook it up to your existing ballast.

That's just the basic part of it, the other things you can do are paint the housing black for a total blackout look without affecting light output, do a "color" mod on the projectors to get the flicker effect, do a sheild mod to increase output on the projector, etc. I'm currently looking at doing the S2000/LS430 projector mod on my Aristo (currently has OEM reflector HID's) around about August.

If you need any more help, just PM me and I've got loads more info on the process. It's just too much to type up on here :).

Oh no it's not complicated whatsoever.

After having a read through most of the tutorials out there, it's pretty simple. Just takes a lot of time and patience to get it right.

Best tool for the job is a Dremel, with which you can just cut a hole. I mean if you've ever done some DIY it's easy as pie compared to DIY in the house.

The only problem with 2nd lights is that they are glued - so require a bit of oven time, which I'm more than comfortable doing.

Once open, just disassemble the whole light assembly (screws/bolts/etc), and do the cutout using a Dremel. Align, glue/screw (your own preference) the projector and re-assemble and rebake to get the glue to seal it up and you're done!

It's much better than paying £600 for a retrofit job yourself, not to mention it does give you a unique look too but mostly the light output is increased tremendously (if using the LS430/Acura TL/S2000 projectors). I'm going to do it to mine, and if you like the results, then drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to do yours too...just have to do it on mine first to get the "hang" of it.

It's just a weekend job if anything.

Oh no it's not complicated whatsoever.

After having a read through most of the tutorials out there, it's pretty simple. Just takes a lot of time and patience to get it right.

Best tool for the job is a Dremel, with which you can just cut a hole. I mean if you've ever done some DIY it's easy as pie compared to DIY in the house.

The only problem with 2nd lights is that they are glued - so require a bit of oven time, which I'm more than comfortable doing.

Once open, just disassemble the whole light assembly (screws/bolts/etc), and do the cutout using a Dremel. Align, glue/screw (your own preference) the projector and re-assemble and rebake to get the glue to seal it up and you're done!

It's much better than paying £600 for a retrofit job yourself, not to mention it does give you a unique look too but mostly the light output is increased tremendously (if using the LS430/Acura TL/S2000 projectors). I'm going to do it to mine, and if you like the results, then drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to do yours too...just have to do it on mine first to get the "hang" of it.

It's just a weekend job if anything.

Think i might just have to take you up on that offer once you have done yours, im a bit heavy handed so will probley just :tsktsk: it up :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links