Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One More Day And A New Rattle

Well now its the turn of the front passenger air vent to rattle and creak!! my daughters 4 year old Yaris is doing better than the IS The dealers must be making a fortune in warranty repairs on these cars!

Anyone else had this one!

Alan

Is case you guys think I am being difficult/ pathetic:

Merc class 4 years old went back for rattles=none

BMW 320 d none

Daughters Yaris =none

Sons Citroen( yes citroen) one

Lexus 4 cars lost count!

alan

Well now its the turn of the front passenger air vent to rattle and creak!! my daughters 4 year old Yaris is doing better than the IS The dealers must be making a fortune in warranty repairs on these cars!

Alan

BMW 320 d none

Daughters Yaris =none

Lexus 4 cars lost count!

alan

It was a really heavy frost last night and I left the 250 out :o As peeps have said low temperatures can cause problems, I took it for a drive early this morning to see if I could coax out a rattle or two :whistling: .

Result...nada, not a sound, as quiet as the proverbial, and thats on 19" wheels with elastic bands for tyres and stiffer springs. Early model too.... :D but I'm not disappointed.

Alan

BMW 320 d none

Daughters Yaris =none

Lexus 4 cars lost count!

alan

Thats why i got rid - on the 250 SEL (purchased in March 06) i had

Complete sat nav system replaced

Replacement seat base

Rattles behin central air vents

Rattles in b pillars

Numerous rattles behind dash

On the 250 Sport ( purchased in September 06)

Problems with gears - often difficult to engage 2nd

Creaking dash

Rattles from passenger side - difficult to pinpoint

The silver paint to the central consure began to wear off

I just became paranoid of any noise, which really became all consuming.

I owned my IS250 Sport since March 2006 now, and have not had a single problem at all.

Also I don't think the dealers makes a fortune on warranty work... isn't warranty work free of charge?

The Dealers are franchised independants, so any warranty work they do is backcharged to Lexus Toyota. I don't believe they're making a fortune but there does appear to be an abnormal number of complaints against the new model IS (for a Lexus anyway). Would be interesting for Lexus UK to publish the percentage of cars that have had warranty work against total sold, not counting the recall that a lot had for the front seat belt return mechanism.

Re the B pillar rattles.

I have had the same prob on both the RX300 and the IS250 we have. Eventually I discovered a quite simple cause. When the seat belt retracts on the passenger side, it will tend to rotate a little and the buckle will sit at an angle between the seat and the B pillar which in both is of hard plastic. The buckle then irritatingly rattles unless you undo the slight twist to the belt and allow the buckle to hang loose of both the seat and the B pillar. I regularly need to do this in both cars when I use them and then usually get a completely rattle free ride (other than all the family crap thet rattles around in the RX!)

Alan

BMW 320 d none

Daughters Yaris =none

Lexus 4 cars lost count!

alan

Alan - as you know I'm with you. I've been told to stop moaning about the car (by the partner). Mine too has been in for warranty work too many times, new model or not. It really isn't acceptable at all.

My dealer is doing everything imaginable and hat's off to them, but again this morning I get the odd squeak, just generally from the dash. Now I cannot pin point any specific location.

If I could have afforded to change it I would have done it for March - I have secretly test driven a select handfull of the cars. But we have decided to stick it out with the Lex for a while longer.

Nothing competes with the Lexus for VFM, just the sheer equipment makes all else look stingy, but I really will never buy a new car again.

I'm now waiting for the new A4 and C Class to hit the streets. But I will not buy a new one, or one early in it's cycle. I'll be waiting until after the "mid cycle" face lift (3-3.5 yrs into build) and then get a slightly used one. That to me makes most sense, 'cos all the teethers have been sorted out, and you don't end up paying top dollar.

What that does mean though is that the Lexus will have to last me another 4 years or more, and I just don't think I want it once the warranty has expired! Not with all that foam everywhere!! So it's a real dilemma.

PS - mine has had the vent rattle. Again, removal, re-packing and re-install - it's a common theme...

That is my feeling as well Soon I will have more foam inthe dash than Britaney Spears has in her bathtub!

My conclusion after one year and 4 of these ....most rattle and if not now will do at some point

Its a grat pity as the cars have thepotential to be outstanding in every way

alan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links