Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Wheel Wobble

The Bold Boy

Does anyone have a problem of wheel wobble whilst braking form 80mph down to 60mph then the wobble stops, Wheels have been balanced numerous times alighnment done run out of ideas. Any members had similar problems and if so what is the fix .

Regards The Bold Boy 2001 Aristo V300

Check your ball joints, wheel balancing and tracking/alignment.

Basically I used to have the very same problem...used to think it was brake discs too, but after replacing the front lower ball joints the problem was GREATLY reduced.

Then just after had the 19's put on, all balanced with new tyres all round and the problem dissapeared completely.

Also a bad alignment is said to cause these problems too.

Hope that helps :).

If you have always had the problem (even immediately after you fitted new discs and pads) then it is likely to be the ball joints if the wobble is noticable at all speeds of hard breaking. If the wobble improved after you first did the disk change but has since got worse then probably the discs have warped again.

Unless the pads and discs are matched then you can quite quickly end up with wheel wobbles (particularly if you are heavy on the breaks at high speed - the heat build up can quickly cause problems. Warping is not a sign of old age - it usually is a sign of how much punishment they have taken).

If you can find a straight flat piece of quiet road, at an appropriate speed try when breaking easing your hands off the steering wheel. If the car tries to pull one way then I'd check the ball joint, etc on that side first.

Check your ball joints, wheel balancing and tracking/alignment.

Basically I used to have the very same problem...used to think it was brake discs too, but after replacing the front lower ball joints the problem was GREATLY reduced.

Then just after had the 19's put on, all balanced with new tyres all round and the problem dissapeared completely.

Also a bad alignment is said to cause these problems too.

Hope that helps :).

Where is the best plce to nbuy ball joints

Many thanks to all who have given their advice I will let you know how I get on when I get round to doing all these jobs.

They're only about £100 from your local Toyota dealer - so just pick them up from there and use your Gold discount...

Also in order to make sure it is the Ball joints, jack the front of the car up, and then check for play by grabbing the outer part of the rim and moving it up/down/side to side...should tell you if the ball joints are knackered...another sign is a slight "clicking" sound when you reverse whilst parallel parking on the side of a road or onto a drive with a slope.

Hope that helps. Also brake discs don't warp THAT easily! I've got a set of not so good EBC discs on the fronts and although the discs have been punished like no other (multiple *55mph* stops), and brake fade kicking in, I've not had them warp on me yet.

Unless you do that sort of thing EVERY DAY then it's another matter or if you're into tracking your car :).

Anyways, I'd get the balljoints checked out first then everything else :).

PS: If you get your balljoints done, make sure you get a good mechanic to do it so the alignment/tracking can still be "retained"...otherwise get the car aligned/tracked again :).

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links