Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trying To Figure It All Out

Nomad

New guy on the block here. I am in the USAF and am stationed on Okinawa (Japan). Recently purchased an '92 Toyota Soarer 2.5 twin turbo, which I have been told is practically the same as an sc300/400.

I have a lot of ideas I'd like to try out, but this is my first expirence with turbos. Also I have a few things on the car that while trivial, are beginning to drive me insane.

Thanks in advance for any info that might be thrown my way!

Tuning a Soarer TT is not unlike any other car but the complex on-board electronics and computer controlled systems make life very difficult. With the automatic box also being computer controlled so you cannot remove the factory ECU (or mod the ECU unless you send it to MINES in Japan).

The Apexi S-AFC has proven to be one of the few electronic control devices which is usable on the Soarer, used in conjunction with higher boost levels but 14.5psi @ manifold on the standard CT12a Ceramic turbines is considered the safe MAX pressure before the ceramic wheels disintergrate.

I convinced Giles @ Turbo Technics to build some hybrid Steel Wheel turbo's which can produce 2Bar boost (29psi), a bolt on replacement allowing a safe 17/18psi manifold (330bhp) but we are working on getting my TT up to 25psi (400ishbhp) with big exhaust, FMIC, bigger injectors, fuel regulator, stronger blow-off valves.

The V8 Soarer is a different issue, not having the turbo's to improve like the TT makes modification difficult, exhaust & inlet mods help to push 300bhp which is a usefull increase but getting beyond that is very hard. Our counterparts in Oz have developed a low profile supercharger which fits under the V8 bonnet, giving 5psi boost on the standard 4.0ltr engine, this may not sound much when we talk of 15/20psi boost on a turbo engine but the supercharger develops extra power from tickover and right through the rev range without the inevitable "turbo lag" or tight power bands we get from the TT.

superchargedyno.jpg

More Tuning Info:

Soarer TT Tuning - SoarerTT

V8 Supercharging - Planet Soarer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links