Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I can't close my bonnet :o

It just bounces back up again like I've pulled the release cable. I've had a look inside the catch and it appears that there's a small spring that's broken in there - presumably the one that holds it closed.

I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas on who may be able to fix it?

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

I can't close my bonnet :o

It just bounces back up again like I've pulled the release cable. I've had a look inside the catch and it appears that there's a small spring that's broken in there - presumably the one that holds it closed.

I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas on who may be able to fix it?

Many thanks.

[/rdwarr Sep 6 2007 post 468801]

I have the same problem. Happened after I charged my battery yesterday. I normally disconnect one terminal when charging but this time did not bother. I also notice that the sidelights do not flash when I open or lock the car with fob. Wondering whether there is anything electrical involved between bonnet release thing in car and locking mechanism under bonnet, and perhaps a fuse has failed? ?

When I had the problem with my MK2 I had to have the cable itself replaced - it's only a cheap item - under £25 - and now it works fine everytime.

@ Glenn - details for that part for the MK2 are here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=55177

@ Hertsman - is the latch in the car staying open as well as if so it may be the same sort of problem?

When I had the problem with my MK2 I had to have the cable itself replaced - it's only a cheap item - under £25 - and now it works fine everytime.

@ Hertsman - is the latch in the car staying open as well as if so it may be the same sort of problem?

Yes, the latch in the car does not return to its normal position. So it looks like it is a cable problem. My (one-man band, but very experienced) mechanic says he has never come across a problem like it. First time I have ever known him baffled. Looks like a trip to Lexus to in Hatfield for this one.

Thanks for the various suggestions made so far.

What year is your car mate? Is it a MK1 or MK2?

When the guys at the garage took my old cable out it was totally seized and took some serious twisting just to get it to move at all, it seems a bit weird having it fixed as I had it for that long it will take me a while to get used to just being able to open the bonnet and close it immediately without having to mess around :)

One thing they did do though was change the path of the cable so that it runs in the engine bay and straight through the bulkhead instead of having it run through the wing as it was more angled before so they're hopeful that this should stop it breaking again, but if not it will be a much quicker swap than first time around :)

Yes, the latch in the car does not return to its normal position. So it looks like it is a cable problem. My (one-man band, but very experienced) mechanic says he has never come across a problem like it. First time I have ever known him baffled. Looks like a trip to Lexus to in Hatfield for this one.

Thanks for the various suggestions made so far.

Well - a happy ending!! 3 days after my bonnet-lock problem first appeared, preventing me from putting the bonnet into its locked position, I have just been back to the GS300 to apply some WD40 to the bonnet-lock to see whether that helps. VERY surprised to find that the release latch in the car had mysteriously returned to its normal position - which it was refusing to do before and just hanging like a broken arm. I pulled it in the normal way and, incredibly, the bonnet is releasing and closing as normal.

I also notice that when I (un)lock the car with the fob, the lights on the sides of the car have begun to flash normally (were not doing that last night).

I still wonder whether there is some electrical factor involved in all this - given that all this started after I had put the Battery on charge without disconnecting the terminals (??)

My Lexus has been so reliable (since 2000) that I have rarely had to open the bonnet, except now and again to charge the Battery. But I think I will be opening it more regularly now to make sure the cable mechanism gets a bit more reguar exercise.

When the guys at the garage took my old cable out it was totally seized and took some serious twisting just to get it to move at all, it seems a bit weird having it fixed as I had it for that long it will take me a while to get used to just being able to open the bonnet and close it immediately without having to mess around :)

One thing they did do though was change the path of the cable so that it runs in the engine bay and straight through the bulkhead instead of having it run through the wing as it was more angled before so they're hopeful that this should stop it breaking again, but if not it will be a much quicker swap than first time around :)

Aido - thanks for your suggestions. A cyclist crashed into my driver-side wing a few weeks back. Wondering whether the resulting dent (not yet fixed) is constricting the cable. Anyway - it is all working now 2.50pm Sunday - as I have just reported on the site. Complete mystery!

Glad to hear it's ok :)

Mine was like this - at first it would take a couple of hours for the latch to close and then as time went on it took longer and longer until it would take up to 48 hours!

If it does it again then you may need to swap the cable over but if it's ok then I wouldn't worry about it :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links