Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Binding Brake - Common?

SilverIce

Hi

I'm new here (on behalf of my farther who ones the IS200)

He has a binding brake on the F/N/S. He felt that at junctions/pulling off it was a bit resultant, and then felt it was running a lot hotter than the O/S.

I found a few posts on the search and it seems to be a bit of an unknown - on how to cure it.

At the weekend we stripped down that brake, cleaned it all up (the pistons seemed v.hard to get back) and instantly it improved. About 50 miles later it is running hotter - but not as hot.

I'm not new to this problem myself I had it on one of my old cars (a Peugeot 306-Gti6). The problem in the end was the master cylinder not releasing on that brake, but that wasn't found until after a new brake caliper, which in turn was again knackered from it running hot and melting the seals.

I have read on here that others that have had this problem have had Lexus fit a new caliper but with no success (and a lot of cost)

Can anyone add to this, or point out something else it might be - I wondered if there is some bits/dirt in the fluid (it was changed back in the summer at lexus)?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin.

u can get a caliper rebuid kit from lexus/toyota - and use a bit of silicone grease on the pistons and it should be ok

I would assume this would be something they offer the customer, but prob not because the labour would be more than the new caliper. Something worth considering.

What do these kits contain, is it replacement seals mainly or more?

plus is this something that's easy for DIY (i've never taken a caliper apart)

that is of course if it is the caliper at fault....

u can get a caliper rebuid kit from lexus/toyota - and use a bit of silicone grease on the pistons and it should be ok

I would assume this would be something they offer the customer, but prob not because the labour would be more than the new caliper. Something worth considering.

as for DIY this is not a hard job but i would say you would have to be compitant as MUST be 100% correct and is very easy to nick/twist the seals

as for DIY this is not a hard job but i would say you would have to be compitant as MUST be 100% correct and is very easy to nick/twist the seals

Thanks. I do most thing on my cars (I've got a 328Ci, sorry its not a lexus!) The only real question would be removing the pistons - i assume they have an 'o ring' or similar seal?

Edit: I have had a look online and this seems the case - the most read tip is to use low air pressure to blow the pistons out. The hardest bit is the reassembly from what i read.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to kev will probably strip down caliper fully soon.

Unfortunately the problem still exists - Dad has taken the pads out several times and proved it is the top piston that is stiffer than the other one. After a few months it comes back and runs hot again, with freeing off it makes it fine again....

Need to prove weather it is the piston it's self or if it has run too hot in past a make the caliper warp?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links