Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Before you get too excited this is not a story of how your RX will now do 40 mpg but please bear with me....

Like many people I assume one of the reasons we drive a Lexus is the ease of ownership? : get in, start car, drive, come home, go to pub etc. If you are like me this attitude also applies to car maintenance which for most people with Lexus extends to topping up the washer bottle.

Well, for the first time since I got the car I thought I might check tyre pressures as local garage has new Carlos Fandango machine that lets you set pressure digitally and then auto inflates to this amount. RX should be 32 all round but mine was about 28-29 all round. 20p later all tyres at 32.

Well I'll be damned if I am not getting an extra 1-2 mpg straight away!!! :D I know it sounds obvious but c'mon how many of us check tyres every week??!!

The moral of this story is - if you want to save some money on fuel don't be a lazy so-and-so like me and check your tyres!

As with all other consumables, always worth paying attention to. Not least from an MPG POV but also from tyre life and safe braking. Not surprising you're getting improved MPG with correct pressures. Every little does indeed help - especially with vehicles like these.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an RX, an IS200 in fact, but I recently checked my tyre pressures after not doing so for quite a while, and although they weren't that far off, I couldn't believe the difference in the way the car handled after putting them back up again - will definitely be checking them more often now!

I'll be interested to see if I get an mpg improvement too.........

Talking of tyre pressures, do you find that you often think the front tyres are a little flat, even though they are at the correct pressure, especially when the car is on a slight camber? Obviously the engine is very heavy!

One of my rear tyres had a very very slow puncture, and did not even look at all flat at 20PSI.

I even bought a tyre pressure gauge which stays in the glove box, highly recommended

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links