Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre - Presure Indicator On / Faulty !

Avril

I have an sc430. was not aware that the sensors had a Battery life, but considering they cost more than half the price of a new tyre they

need to be dealt with. I dont want to lose the facility. However the design is very poor as really you should replace valves everytime you

purchase new tyres. With just normal use they corode, are made of poor material and prone to snapping if you try to remove them and clean them up. On my car the threads on the stems of all of them are iffy. I had to purchase a new tyre recently and the stem broke. tried to get one from Lexus (not in stock) very useful! Thought about the issue, and I think the system is poor engineering. The sensor should be a seperate item, as the valve stem gets lots of wear, and fails while the sensor is still serviceable. Didnt want to go through a week of sensor alarm screaming while I waited for an appointment to reset the computer. So i have taped the sensor to the inside of the wheel (Gaffer tape) and it is working perfectly. (Never gven any problem since) Im going to do it with all of them (even if I have to buy a new one for a Battery failure) its a far better approach.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

thanks for that,but i have disconnected the TPS module under the radio,i am also fitting 4 new tyres and will remove the sensors as the Battery,s in sensors are exhausted.this is the 3rd car i have had with TPM and not one of them has been any bloody good!! there is no way that i am going to pay £500 for new sensors and fitting.i have been driving over 50 years and feel i am capable of knowing when tyres need air,the steering lets you know quick enough.

I have an sc430. was not aware that the sensors had a battery life, but considering they cost more than half the price of a new tyre they

need to be dealt with. I dont want to lose the facility. However the design is very poor as really you should replace valves everytime you

purchase new tyres. With just normal use they corode, are made of poor material and prone to snapping if you try to remove them and clean them up. On my car the threads on the stems of all of them are iffy. I had to purchase a new tyre recently and the stem broke. tried to get one from Lexus (not in stock) very useful! Thought about the issue, and I think the system is poor engineering. The sensor should be a seperate item, as the valve stem gets lots of wear, and fails while the sensor is still serviceable. Didnt want to go through a week of sensor alarm screaming while I waited for an appointment to reset the computer. So i have taped the sensor to the inside of the wheel (Gaffer tape) and it is working perfectly. (Never gven any problem since) Im going to do it with all of them (even if I have to buy a new one for a battery failure) its a far better approach.

hi dennis,your are right about the quality of the sensors plus my wheels are showing signs of corrosion around the sensor.try and imagine the no of cars without. this option?? i feel its a over specified piece of kit.if you think about it how else would the sensors work with out a Battery inside? they would not be able to send out a frequency.i don't understand why on earth you should tape them to the inside of the wheel as the system will not work in respect of low tyre pressure in that position.just pull the plugs out on the TPM under the radio its a 10 minute job and gives you peace!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tyre pressure warning system is a waste of time after 3 or 4 years old. Each Battery will run out in turn and each will cost a few hundred to fit and code in. I just turned mine off after the first one went.. Its very simple to unplug the unit puts out the light and disables the warnings. Instructions are on this forum just search takes 10 minutes to do and no special tools needed. Funnily I did have a tyre problem a few months ago but I could feel it straight away in the steering checked and the tyre was down to 20 psi.

To change all four and code them on my 2005 SC430 (6) it was quoted Over £800 by Lexus and I have to travel two hours round trip. etc etc. Lexus try to make sure only they can do the coding even though anyone can fit the new sensor/ inflators.

• 11 months later...

Please can someone tell me how to disconnect the tyre pressure monitor (constant buzzing noise every few minutes) on my 2002 Lexus SC430

My email address is: shaunconnor@hotmail.com

Many, many thanks

Shaun

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

I have a SC430 2005 and also have the tyre pressure warning light staying on, no buzzer.

My car has been fitted with non-runflat tyres for a few years now without problems.

I have noticed that on the O/S/F and N/S/R the wheels have the aluminium vales as per Lexus and on the N/S/F and O/S/R look like standard rubber valves.

I've not had the warning light illuminated before so can't really see this being my actual problem.

I would also like to know how to turn off the warning light.

Regards, Mick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links