Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did a search but couldn't find anything. On the LS430 I've just bought, the boot is quite hard work to push open but the main issue is that it doesn't stay firmly in position. Was inspecting the boot yesterday and the lid blew down onto my back, which was not good.

I suspect the struts are worn and of course the only repair is likely to be replacement. Lexus quote £160 the pair plus labour.

Does anyone know of any other remedies? Might I get away with just one new strut? (The lid generally stays up, but will come down with just a little encouragement). Are there cheaper alternatives for replacement struts?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Chris

Got the same problems with mine, apparently it is caused through lack of use, the pistons have oil in them to lubricate and when not used the rubbers get dry and the gas escapes

Anyway found these people and will send mine when I get around to it, this is a copy of the email I recieved from them.... a lot cheaper than Lexus

Dear Peter

Thank you for your enquiry. Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it is not successful within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £49.94 delivered for the pair (£17.50 per strut plus £7.50 carriage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested and are ready for dispatch. If you require a re-gas please send your struts to:

SGS Engineering

Unit 2, Coburn Place

Newland Street

Derby

DE11JT.

If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please don’t hesitate to call.

Kind Regards

Andy Wyatt.

SGS Engineering (UK) Ltd

Unit 2, Coburn Place

Newland Street

Derby

DE1 1JT

Telephone: 0845 880 12 55

Fax: 01332 366232

Email: andy@sgs-engineering.com

Web Address: www.sgs-engineering.com

Great advice here guys, thanks for your suggestions.

I'll try the re-gas option first and hope that does the trick (sounds plausible). Reckon I can stretch to £49.94 if I have to.

Are these things easily removed and refitted? I had a quick look just now and it wasn't obvious to me what to do, but I need to look properly in the daylight.

Chris

Thanks Mat - strut direct, lol, there really is a website for everything! But I think I'm going to try the SGS guys first.

And thanks Graham for the link, I think mine are fairly similar. But in the end, and for those who might need to know in future, it was even easier than that - I basically just pulled them off! Each end fits over a round metal projection fixed to the bootlid, similar to that you can see in the US pictures in Graham's link. There was a thin metal clip on each end of the strut, probably keeping the strut end tight over the ball end. I was able to loosen that just by inserting a flat screwdriver.

Would be interesting to know how much labour Lexus would have charged for the job. An engineer who (unlike me) knew what to do should be able to remove and install the pair in about 90 seconds, I reckon.

Of course, in a few days time I get to find out if I have damaged anything and won't be able to refit them . . .

I will report back on the results of the re-gassing and my refitting project.

Chris

Hey Graham, I see you are just up the road from me, I'm in West Byfleet. And you have a silver MkIV LS400 with DHP, exactly like I had, mine was a March 1999. In fact it's not my old one is it . . ?

Had it nearly two years, lovely car of course, sold it last December with great misgivings and for no very good reason. Anyway as you may have seen from another thread, missed Lexy too much and have just acquired a silver LS430, early one from October 2000, very pleased so far (apart from the boot struts that is, naturally!).

Perhaps we should meet up and exchange polishing and refurbishing tips?

Chris

Carrying on from this, my LS400, when opening the boot from either the key or the switch, just unlocks and 'pops' up about an inch (you have to physically push the boot up to gain access). Did they, from new, open up completely. If I fitted new struts would they push the boot lid up to it's limit? Anyone know please?

Chris, just seen your last post. I have had this last week off work and for the last two days have been giving the car a portion of the 'new' DODO JUICE. I read a post from 'WylieCoyote' which was extolling the DODO's praises. This stuff is absolutely brilliant. Like Keith (Wylie) I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to keeping the car clean, and have been a Meguiars user with the utmost satisfaction. However, when it comes to detailing silver paintwork (it never does seem to look as good as the darker colours) this DODO juice really does take the biscuit. When I can get my son to come round and take some pictures I will post them up. Weekly shop at Tesco's Brooklands tonight and I purposely parked under the main spotlights in the car park. Car looked really, really good. Be nice to meet you Chris as I have been looking longingly at 430's for the last couple of weeks. Not sure whether to upgrade or not! Chris, I will pm you . Regards, Graham.

The boot on my LS400 just opened an inch or so. Don't think you would really want it to swing all the way open, what about if it is raining or parked under something a bit low?

I was only joking really about the polish, Graham, but if you are on to something good maybe I should find out more. Will pm you back.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on this. I sent my struts to SGS, they called back promptly and told me they had tried re-gassing but some gas had been lost overnight so basically it didn't look like being a viable option.

I trusted them on that and instead ordered two new struts from them, all in about £75 compared to £50 for the re-gas so not actually that much more.

The new struts arrived promptly and you basically just push them on the round metal nodes then slide the spring clip round to secure them. Even I managed to do it! The struts took me about 30 seconds, the clips maybe 3 or 4 minutes as a couple of them are awkward to get at.

Result: two working boot struts. Boot swings up easily enough when I lift it and looks like it will stay up there.

Thanks for the tip on SGS, Pete. I would endorse the recommendation, good and prompt service and reasonably priced.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Just to update on this. I sent my struts to SGS, they called back promptly and told me they had tried re-gassing but some gas had been lost overnight so basically it didn't look like being a viable option.

I trusted them on that and instead ordered two new struts from them, all in about £75 compared to £50 for the re-gas so not actually that much more.

The new struts arrived promptly and you basically just push them on the round metal nodes then slide the spring clip round to secure them. Even I managed to do it! The struts took me about 30 seconds, the clips maybe 3 or 4 minutes as a couple of them are awkward to get at.

Result: two working boot struts. Boot swings up easily enough when I lift it and looks like it will stay up there.

Thanks for the tip on SGS, Pete. I would endorse the recommendation, good and prompt service and reasonably priced.

Chris

Hi. Just to endorse the good service from SGS. They took my bonnet stuts from my LS400 in December 2007 and offered the same regas or replace. I was lucky and they held pressure. Result £42.50 and struts back Special Delivery next day. Easy to fit and goodbye wooden bonnet prop. Will be sending the boot struts next month.

Rab

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just to add - Mine need doing I think as the boot is quite heavy to lift open and although it stays open, I don't trust it as it doesn't take much to close it. Will be sending my struts off to SGS to see if they can regas them. Just to keep the prices current, here's the email I received from them earlier (Follwed up by a phonecall too, they seem like nice chaps which I appreciate)

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your enquiry. New struts are available at a cost of £77.05 for the pair delivered (£30.75 per strut plus £5.50 postage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.

Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it fails within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £35.08 delivered for the pair (£12.50 per strut plus £5.50 postage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested. If you require a re-gas please send your struts to:

SGS Engineering (UK) Limited

Unit A6

Cranmer Road

West Meadows Industrial Estate

Derby

DE21 6JL

If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please don’t hesitate to call.

Kind Regards

Andy Wyatt.

Just to add - Mine need doing I think as the boot is quite heavy to lift open and although it stays open, I don't trust it as it doesn't take much to close it. Will be sending my struts off to SGS to see if they can regas them. Just to keep the prices current, here's the email I received from them earlier (Follwed up by a phonecall too, they seem like nice chaps which I appreciate)
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your enquiry. New struts are available at a cost of £77.05 for the pair delivered (£30.75 per strut plus £5.50 postage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.

Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it fails within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £35.08 delivered for the pair (£12.50 per strut plus £5.50 postage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested. If you require a re-gas please send your struts to:

SGS Engineering (UK) Limited

Unit A6

Cranmer Road

West Meadows Industrial Estate

Derby

DE21 6JL

Kind Regards

Andy Wyatt.

cool - My boot is hard to open - I just thought it was a 'feature'

what have people found? regas or brand new set?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links