Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres need changing on RX - has anyone here changed from standard Bridgestone Potenza to Dunlops or others and can offer a recommendation?

Thanks!

Haven't changed but my 2001 RX was fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 270 - 60 R17 99H when I bought it a year ago. 2 of them were new apparently. I have now covered 15,000 miles and have 6mm of tread on 4 tyres and 5mm on the fifth. Thus these should be good for over 20,000 miles. Last time I asked my tyre supplier (near Cardiff Airport) he could supply and fit these for £100 a piece fully inclusive of stick-on balancing weights. This is at least £30 a piece cheaper than I have found elsewhere so would be worth a trip to fit 4 or 5.

They, and the vehicle, have performed faultlessly in general use, in the snow last winter and in towing a heavy caravan over 2000 miles in some dreadful weather and over mountain passes in the Pyrenees. Also one (real) emergency stop performed brilliantly. I have complete confidence in the vehicle/tyre combination.

I have rotated the wheels once as advised in the handbook. The dealer told me not to bother but a mate in the auto trade said that it was a good idea to do this on 4 x 4s. He started to explain why but my eyes glazed over after 30 secs!

Hope this helps.

UPDATE FROM PREVIOUS POSTS

80,000 mls on "second set only" and still loads left

Apr 22 2006, 08:04 PM

(POST)

39000 mls loads of tread left

And i do drive it hard

Got a nail puncture last week ATS repaired and said aleast another 10k before need to change.

Shame its on full maintenance or do they put special tyres on when its at there expense.

Apr 23 2006, 08:36 AM

(REPLY)

Shoggy

What pressure are you using and what else (besides perhaps good tracking etc) do you think is contributing to such good return ?

Just like some others here I am at around 8k miles and my front outer edges are looking very low on thread. It has been checked out by Lexus twice and given the ok.

Apr 23 2006, 10:48 AM

(POST)

Don't Know - never check them presume dealer does that when it goes in !

Aug 30 2006, 06:45 PM

(POST)

as per previous statement

tyres still perfect @ 48000

Give up ! they must be special tyres on Lease scheme

In Italy the car comes with a set of Pirelli Scorpion STR. I've just had them replaced for the first time in 6 years (not really worn out, but they were getting hard).

Would recommend them: perform well on road, even with heavy rain, and offer great traction with snow. Never tested them off-road or with mud.

Well I plumped for Dunlops in the end. Tread pattern seems similar to bridgestone but they seem to be a quieter tyre.

Bridgestones had just under 18K on them - fronts had 2 mm left and the backs about 4. Was just going to just do fronts but sods law I will be on A1 at Xmas and due to global warming I would have been caught in record breaking snow storm with bald tyres so decided to get all 4 done.

• 5 weeks later...

Our car has OE Bridgestone tyres fitted. They seem to do the job quite well and are hard wearing. I however don't like the brand (personal choice). its nothing in particular I guess, I just prefer the Michelins. I'm waiting for mine to scrub out so I can put the Michelins on there. Although while we had a Hybrid on load, it had the Dunlop <something> tyres - they appeared quite grippy (soft) and quieter than the Bridgestones. I think I preferred them. But ultimately, I would buy the Micehlins over any other as (for me) the brand is tried and tested.

I think it is a brave decision going with the Kumhos - are they for European market as much of the stuff about them is for the US market - and tyres that are NOT European type approved are considered illegal in the UK.

Might be worth you posting regularly about the tyres and your experiences mate?

Our car has OE Bridgestone tyres fitted. They seem to do the job quite well and are hard wearing. I however don't like the brand (personal choice). its nothing in particular I guess, I just prefer the Michelins. I'm waiting for mine to scrub out so I can put the Michelins on there. Although while we had a Hybrid on load, it had the Dunlop <something> tyres - they appeared quite grippy (soft) and quieter than the Bridgestones. I think I preferred them. But ultimately, I would buy the Micehlins over any other as (for me) the brand is tried and tested.

I think it is a brave decision going with the Kumhos - are they for European market as much of the stuff about them is for the US market - and tyres that are NOT European type approved are considered illegal in the UK.

Might be worth you posting regularly about the tyres and your experiences mate?

Yes European approved, in fact just found out recently that KIA and Hyundia fit these as standard supply on all UK 4 x 4's, had both Michelin and Dunlop and did not rate either but i will keep you informed on how these perform, however to date very impressed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the Kumhos are naff - far from it I've had these tyres fitted to a variety of cars (Fabia VRs, PUG 205 GTi, Clio II ...) and they have been the Ecsta KU31 range of tyres. They have performed admirably and I have been suitably impressed. But when it comes to tyres for my 330 Sport or the RX I remain to be convinced that these tyres offer the same performance as the equivalent Michelins. I would need to have more convincing that they are as good on these 'extra load' or 'heavy' vehicles.

If you could post back your findings over a period of time, then I'm sure we would all find it of use.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the Kumhos are naff - far from it I've had these tyres fitted to a variety of cars (Fabia VRs, PUG 205 GTi, Clio II ...) and they have been the Ecsta KU31 range of tyres. They have performed admirably and I have been suitably impressed. But when it comes to tyres for my 330 Sport or the RX I remain to be convinced that these tyres offer the same performance as the equivalent Michelins. I would need to have more convincing that they are as good on these 'extra load' or 'heavy' vehicles.

If you could post back your findings over a period of time, then I'm sure we would all find it of use.

Not sure what extra load or weight has to do with this but for peace of mind this model of tyre as explained by Kumho UK is specifically designed for all weather and SUV / 4 x 4 vehicles and fitted as standard to motors a lot heavier than the RX300, i will of course keep you all informed about performance.

Probably way too late for you but I had to change all 4 after about 26,000 miles (2 worn, 1 damaged sidewall and prefer to buy pairs) (Kwikfit are keeping the other for me, as a potential replacement in the future).

After a bit of research, (Tanvic/ATS/Walkers/Thorntons/Kwikfit) I chose a set of Continentals. Cost me over £500!

Only problem was that the tracking was way out and took three adjustments to get right, but this may have been caused by the impact which damaged the sidewall of the originals.

Thus far, the Continentals have performed faultlessly, although I do have a slight sense that the steering is marginally heavier.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way that I'd let those Spanner Monkeys @ any Fast Fit type of place try to 'adjust' (read: muck up) my tracking. I don't think they are geared up at all to do it.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Contis - they do seem to be a good tyre, but I guess £500 for x4 new tyres isn't a bad price TBH. Altho' when my OE Brdgestones are up I'm going for Michelin Diamris (sp?) from Costco :D

Probably way too late for you but I had to change all 4 after about 26,000 miles (2 worn, 1 damaged sidewall and prefer to buy pairs) (Kwikfit are keeping the other for me, as a potential replacement in the future).

After a bit of research, (Tanvic/ATS/Walkers/Thorntons/Kwikfit) I chose a set of Continentals. Cost me over £500!

Only problem was that the tracking was way out and took three adjustments to get right, but this may have been caused by the impact which damaged the sidewall of the originals.

Thus far, the Continentals have performed faultlessly, although I do have a slight sense that the steering is marginally heavier.

26,000!!!! I will be more than happy with that and it is far more than i have ever had from Dunlop or Bridgestones, you should also be aware that as these ar all weather tyres therefore the rubber compound is slightly softer than standard tyres hence their better performance at lower tempretures / snow / ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Have an 02 RX 300SE with original Dunlop SP270. Now over 71000 on the clock. I always have the wheels rotated at service and there is still around 5mm on each tyre.

I have searched the web with a view to changing if and when the time came but could not find very little with the same profile. As the car will be getting replaced in two or three months time this set should last me till then.

Joha101

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links