Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone!

I'm going to pick up a 2002 GS300 this Monday (my first Lexus), and I have a couple of questions about the car that hadn't occoured to me until now;

1 - How do I go about getting updates for the Sat Nav system? Is it just a new CD/DVD, or is this a dealership job?

2 - Has anyone had any luck getting the Parrot Bluetooth Handsfree kits working with the built in stereo?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, it a replacement DVD..

go here for the disks, cheaper than the dealers.. http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/

sometimes they come up on eBay, but make sure you get the right part number, use the above website to check.

When I bought my 2003 GS300, it had a nokia Bluetooth kit fitted, which I replaced with my Sony 700 one, and used the same connections as the Nokia..

Apart from the power feeds and earth, the mute is the only other wire you need, 4 in total.. (mine has it's own speaker)

If yours uses the car's speakers, you will have to find the feeds and splice your unit into them.

John

Thanks for your reply.

I'll have to wait until Monday to order the new disc - you never know, it may already have a recent disc in there - I didn't think to check that when I went to look at the car.

I haven't bought the car kit yet, I only suggested Parrot because I've had one of their systems fitted to a previous car, and I know it all works with my phone. I doubt I'll try fitting the unit myself... I'm too scared of doing damage to the interior or electrics if I make a mistake.

Now I know it's possible I'll get a couple of quotes done :)

Well, I've ordered a new disc from lexus-mapupdates.eu - the disc that came with the car was outdated some time ago :P

A question on the sound system in the car though, if anyone can help;

I have contacted two places about having a handsfree kit fitted to the car and they have both asked if the system is amped or not.

It makes about a £40 difference in fitting price because a certain cable is needed for amped systems, and it's just generally more labour intensive.

How can I tell if the system in my car is amped or not? Or are they all amped? I can provide a photo of the dash / audio system if needs be.

Oh, and also, the car doesn't seem to want to go in a straight line for some of the time - it steers ever so slightly to the left. Is this normal, or is it a wheel tracking problem. The steering wheel isn't level when you make the car go in a straight line, either.

Aside from that though, the car is excellent. Feels very well planted on the road and is very comfortable to drive.

Your car will have an amp.. it's underneath the satnav DVD in the boot..

I presume he is wiring the phone kit through the car's own speakers.

Pulling to the left is not normal, unless the road is well cambered.. and with the steering wheel being off centre, i would check for any damage, as the previous owner may have hit a kerb at sometime, so the tracking will be out..

My phone kit uses it's own speaker, which just fits snug behind the dash.

John

Aha, cool! I'll let them know then, and see who can give me the best price - they both have a similar reputation.

Yeah, I have asked them to quote for stereo mute, and for the sound to come through the already existing car speakers, even if it's just the midrange unit in the driver's door.

As far as the steering goes, I'll get that checked out - there's a half decent place a few miles out from me so I'll speak to them before I start destroying tyres.

The roads I've noticed it on have been around where I live (single lane 25-30mph) and on the M62/M18 (motorways 60-70mph)... not just one section of road.

Thanks for your advice :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links