Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looks like an interesting alternative. I like the look of it, wouldn't really need the 6/7-seat option but that does it give it quite a square back end which should offer good loadspace volume (depending on how the 3rd row of seats stow when not in use).

I've been looking at the CX60, and can only assume that build and engine specs will be similar.  One thing putting me off is Mazda's use of plastics in some highly inappropriate areas, including the cooling system (pipework).  Even the rad caps are plastic.  Lots of manufacturers are now using plastic valve covers which are cheaper to produce than stamped metal ones, and some have had no real issues (Lexus) whilst others have had oil leaks and cracking.  Mazda seems to use more plastic under the bonnet than many, and that puts me off.  It's difficult to form a reliable opinion as I haven't spotted many used CX variants with high miles which is one barometer I look at when looking for a new car. 

Modern cars seem to be treated as disposable commodities by many makers and it's hard really to know where to look if leaving the Lexus fold, but Mazda have earned a solid reputation for comfort and reliability with their SUVs, despite having poorer ride qualities compared with Lexus and Volvo.  I'd have one over a Volvo though as there's too many reports of faults on the XC range which many seem just to accept for the cache of the badge and an out dated notion that they're reliable cars (engines may be but their track record on water ingress from sunroofs, multiple electrical and sensor faults, poor hybrid system reliability etc puts me off).  

A friend has moved from the NX to a CX-60 and he hates it it's only a couple of months old but he told me the ride is no where near as comfty as the NX. On shorter journeys is not too bad but after a 3hr road trip a few weeks back he had really bad back ache which he never had that issue in the NX. 

He's also had a few issues with it that needed to be fixed. Again never had to worry with the NX. 

On a Mazda Facebook group there's been 2 thefts as well which was one of the reasons he moved away from Lexus he's decided is just not as refined , quiet to drive as the NX and is selling it to get an NX instead and he's never moving away from Lexus again. 

• Like 2

It seems that almost unbelievably, we find ourselves in 2024 with little or no real choices to Lexus but also if we stay, we have to count the cost of ownership of say a 3yr old vehicle as not just £3 to 5K annual depreciation, but that or more in insurance costs.  Add in petrol and you can see that buying say a 2 or 3 year old RX4 will in real terms cost around £7.5K annually, bare minimum, excluding servicing costs.  That's pretty ludicrous.  It's not worth the extra money to stay with Lexus imho.  The extra cost invested in a less reliable make goes a long way to keeping it serviceable.

I found Mazdas to be very reliable and comfortable.The CX7 we had very easily and comfortably managed 450 mile day trips.

Servicing was reasonable cost wise.All round though,quality was a definite (one) notch down on Lexus..as were the lower purchase and running costs.

They also are (sensibly in my view) not giving up on proper engines and mostly use buttons for controls,rather than touchscreens.

4 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

It seems that almost unbelievably, we find ourselves in 2024 with little or no real choices to Lexus but also if we stay, we have to count the cost of ownership of say a 3yr old vehicle as not just £3 to 5K annual depreciation, but that or more in insurance costs.  Add in petrol and you can see that buying say a 2 or 3 year old RX4 will in real terms cost around £7.5K annually, bare minimum, excluding servicing costs.  That's pretty ludicrous.  It's not worth the extra money to stay with Lexus imho.  The extra cost invested in a less reliable make goes a long way to keeping it serviceable.

While there is an issue for vulnerable Lexus cars, even non-vulnerable cars like mine have high insurance but also it’s no real difference to the equivalent Audi either. Car insurance has gone up for everyone, and Lexus at least has the benefit of the Relax warranty - whereas for other makes that would be extra. 

Running a car these days is unfortunately rather expensive.

• Like 1

Not for me, currently although that can always change.   2014 RX3 at £280 annually fully comp and my wife's newer Honda civic is bizarrely a little more.  A few m/cycles too, for under £200 the lot fully comp. I'll see what I'm quoted for an RX4 but if anything over £700, I'll not bother.

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

If only they made a 3.5 V6 petrol version for the UK

How about a 3.3 straight six mild hybrid diesel ...251 bhp,0..62  7.4 sec. 136mph.  138g/km co2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links